Gunboards Forums banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
I’ve got an Al-Kadesiah (even have an original Iraqi cheek pad that was on some other bring back SVD. Quite an interesting but rather roughly finished weapon. They are extremely rare rifles Iraq only ever produced a few thousand I believe.
This article is well researched and Miles Vining knows his business.

On the topic of import marks there is no requirement that a weapon have them once it is in the USA. Importers are required by law to put them on weapons, but if you aren’t the importer then no one is coming after you to confiscate your non-import marked firearm. Per federal law the only marking that cannot be legally removed or defaced from a firearm is the serial number, and even that is rather a dubious matter since there are many pre-1968 firearms that never had a serial number in the first place. My uncle for example has a Walther PPK that a cousin brought back from WW2 that was never marked with a serial number for whatever reason.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Sorry but that's just rapid semi auto.
It's not. Pay close attention to the bolt carrier.
Put the playback speed at 0.25 in the settings and you'll see the carrier reciprocating)
He's shooting short bursts

·
Registered
229 Posts
What about the bolt carrier? It moves with each shot; that happens in semi and full auto. I can't tell if his gloved finger is moving with each shot or not. The video quality is not very good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Non import wont be cheaper because it’s non import. I don’t think people care much. Check my post #13. Second link is non import svd. Went for 31k . I’ve seen kbi imports go lower than non import marked and vice versa. It all depends on who’s selling it where and when, and who’s bidding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

I have been following this thread.

I'm one of the original 100 from the KBI Import. I can verify that there were only 100 that came in and the history on them. I have the original invoice from Eagle Exim Inc. (I actually still have everything!)
My cost was $4500.00 with a $4.50 Cash Only COD charge and a $10.00 fee for hand picking the best of the lot "Special Selection Charge".
I bought it as an investment because I knew there were not going to be any more. I got it January 7 1995, cleaned it, oiled it, and hung it on my wall. I saved the box and all the paperwork and items that came with it. After a year I saw that it was gathering dust, and thought that was not good for collectability, so I decided to take it down, clean it, oil it, put it back in its original box, and store it under my bed. There it has been comfy, warm, and dry for 25 years. So as we come up on January 7, 2021; ---- I would be glad to answer any questions you folks might have. I guess being one of the only 100 people to buy these in the first place gives me a little knowledge advantage?

Regards,
Cousin Bob

·
Registered
229 Posts
Welcome Bob,

I think that we all would like to know more about the KBI imports. They being the only true military configuration models imported - save the handful of soldier bring-backs. What is the history of them? Why 100? What did they sell for? How well did they sell/quickly sell out? Etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Very cool Bob! Not too many one owner KBIs around I should think. Does yours have the earlier style two-piece gas block/sling mount assembly or the later version where those are a single cast part?
Hello Wolfman,
Mine was made in 1994. I believe the gas block and sling ring are one piece. Look at the pictures and you can tell me? There is a quite small round ring molded into the gas block is that designed to be the forward sling mount?
Cousin Bob Carmine Maroon Material property Metal Steel
Shotgun Trigger Air gun Cylinder Gun accessory

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome Bob,

I think that we all would like to know more about the KBI imports. They being the only true military configuration models imported - save the handful of soldier bring-backs. What is the history of them? Why 100? What did they sell for? How well did they sell/quickly sell out? Etc.
Hello Skoda,
From what I understand, these were ordered by KBI/Eagle Exim in 1994 before the import ban. (I suppose if they knew they were going to be banned they would have ordered more than 100?) I guess the original order was only for 100 due to the relatively high cost per rifle at the time?
They were shipped to the US and were in customs when the foreign military weapons ban passed. The BATFE was holding them because of the ban, but since they were already in US territory KBI was fighting for their release. I am a Federally Licensed Firearms Dealer. While they were in customs I got a call from a friend telling me that these might be released and did I want to buy any. I contacted Eagle Exim, sent them a copy of my FFL and a 50% down payment to hold one in case they were released. KBI won their fight, and I got one of the 100. As I mentioned, my cost on it was $4,514.50. They were all pre-sold before KBI won their fight to get them released, so there wasn't much chance to get any more! They were produced in 1994 and I prepaid for it in mid 94; I received it January 7th 1995.
I'm 75 years old, I'm not going to shoot it, so I'm thinking about letting it go.

RIA heard that I have it and they have been calling me and emailing me to get their hands on it. I don't think it's fair to a collector to have to pay a $5,000.00 premium for some middle guy to facilitate a sale! So I don't know what I'm going to do.
Regards,
Cousin Bob

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks for the history. Interesting.

If they are calling you it's because they want it to add some zest to one of their auctions. I have heard that auction houses will forego the seller's premium if you have something that they want to feature so in this case you might be able to get them to do that. Can't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just had a thought. Cousin Bob paid $4500 for his SVD and now they are selling at auction for $33,000 (including buyer's premium). That's a 7.3 times price gain. I bought a KBI import SKS in about the same time frame for $90 at a gun show. They are selling for $7-800 now, call it $750. That's an 8.3 times gain.

Sorry Bob but you would have been better off buying 50 SKSs than one SVD. Of course you would have to store a lot more guns and the cool factor would be less but together they would be worth about $37,500 now. Not that you made a bad choice, far from it because the SVD is easier to store and much cooler to see, it just shows how much everything has gone up since the "the good old days".

Just a random observation.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts