Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is new record high prices that I ever saw SVDs go for. $33k each after premium. Funny thing is there was one on GB few months ago for 15k starting price and no bidders , well at least for 2-3 weeks that I watched it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Diamond Member with Oak leaves and Swords
2,934 Posts
I went to $18K and bailed.
Wasn't going any higher.
The auction brought stupid high $ for firearms I could not understand. Conversely there were a few that sold for much less or starting estimate.
I picked up an Army NM M1 Garand for what I figured it would go for.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Wow, this is an area of collecting I never knew existed, much less these kind of premiums. Apples and oranges, but $6k for a new Texas FG42 seemed like the high-end to me, until you get into seriously rare individual pieces or works of art.

I'm struggling a bit to understand the appeal of this one, which most likely means there's a big hole in my knowledge base (but could also mean you guys are nuts - or both ;-) ).

Very cool though and I love that this is a "thing."

·
Diamond Member with Oak leaves and Swords
2,934 Posts
I am amused as well. What makes it so special and rare?
The research I did took a month usually 2-3 hours a day and I reached out to many hard contacts here and abroad to get more info. on this rifle than you'll ever know. I even contacted the gentleman that built this, he's 78.
As a serious Collector it's just what you do.
The M1 Garand I won took about 3 weeks to get all the details from a different set of sources. When you get into this high of $ you'd better have the straight dope on it or you'll get burned.

·
Gold Bullet member
12,084 Posts
If someone could post a link to the auctions in question, and save me the time of having to search for them, I’ll be most appreciative.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
255 Posts
I can’t speak to what the KBI went for but both military SVDs were pretty unusual, with one being probably the only documented Vietnam bring back and the other being a 1967 gun with early production features that were only seen from 1964-67. These include a different scope rail that couldn’t accommodate a night scope and a different gas block.

·
Gold Bullet member
12,084 Posts
Pavlin:

Thanks for the links. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Wolfman........have you any pics of the early type scope rail and gas block?.

Edit........just seen them in the auction photos, I must admit I didn't realise the early ones had a shorter scope rail!, learn something new every day :thumbsup:

Shame the '67 has a PSL mag and why do folks insist on pushing the rubber eyepiece on so far!.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts