1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Author Topic
kriggevaer
Posted - 05/25/2007 : 2:16:26 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------We've had a couple of good posts about the Jarmann sporters, but the search feature on Gunboards is being recalcitrant and not searching for me. It seems that rudybolla and Ken and posted some things about them, so if you fine fellows read this chime in.

The scans below are from original photographs of a Jarmann sporter built in Christiana(Oslo), Norway by L.H.Hagen & Co. The material came to me bound in a folder, almost like a prospectus for sale of the rifle. Unfortunately there are no dates, but my semi-educated guess is that these documents date to the early 1950s and possibly earlier.

This is a really handsome rifle. Note the horn wrist grip and the sights. The sights most certainly aren't the military issue. The rifle was built on a m/1884-87 Jarmann if I'm not mistaken. It has the magazine cut off on the left side of the receiver. No indication of magazine modifications as the full stock covers that area of the rifle.

Photos coming soon.

G

·
kriggevær,
Sorry to bring up an old thread but information on the Jarmanns is scarce and posted pics of rifles from the older boards/threads have been lost. Did you ever post the pics of the sporter?

Thanks, J

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi j,

I did post the photos, but unfortunately during the recent Gunboards system upgrade, they were zapped. So, I will get them up again as soon as I can.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here we go:) These photos are not the best quality, but the owner did write up a short technical description of the rifle. Although the rifle is stamped by the Hagen company, I do not think it was actually made by them. But, it is one of the Norwegian made sporter Jarmann rifles. JK or Ken would know more about this. The photos, I believe are from the late 1940s or 1950s. Quite a bargain, even for those times.

Attachments

G

·
Thanks for reposting the information, I will try to post pics of my Jarmann rifle on a new thread under the military section.
J

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Hello kriggevær,

A very handsome rifle indeed. If you find any please let me know!

It appears to have a new barrel, slightly shorter by 1 1/2 inches. A new rear sight and triggerguard. And of course a new stock, with no provision for access to the magazine that I can see.
From what I understand L.H.Hagen & Co was somewhat like a Cabela's is to us. Besides firearms, they sold Fishing equipment, Bicycles, Skies and all sorts of outdoor goods. So I would think that most of the sporting firearms were made by others and they had their name put on them.

I do wonder if these rifles came with a box of cartridges, as I would think 10.15 Jarmann would be hard to come by in New Jersey.

Best, John

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hej John,

The Jarmanns load down through the receiver port. The one Jarmann I have handled had a very slick, but tight action. If I find any extras I'll give you a holler:);)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Hej John,
The Jarmanns load down through the receiver port. ;)
Hi kriggevær,
Please, excuse my lack of the correct terminology. I meant to refer to the inspection hole in front of the triggerguard (used to clear jams) it is covered with a brass plate on most military Jarmanns that I have seen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts