Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link to old post
http://old.gunboards.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=225035

Have a question on your T-99 which you matched with the original scope. Is the scope sighted in? Take the bolt out and bore sight it at something and see if the scope lines up. Just curios to see if it is sighted in.
The question was asked why the matching scopes aren't still on the original rifle they were captured with. My theory is, when a rifle was captured, probably by front line troops, they couldn't carry the rifle around with them very easily but they could remove the scope and carry it easily. Some other GI would come and pick up the rifle later for a souvenir. GI's also might have removed the scope to use it like a binocular.
David Franchi

·
Silver Bullet member
15,636 Posts
Franchi,
the reason for 95+% mismatched scopes is really a mystery.

Your theories are as good as any I have heard.

Others have mentioned before that even known, as captured, bringbacks have mismatched scopes; the Japanese appeared to have a problem keeping them together too.

·
Gold Bullet member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't think they were mismatched by the Japanese because they wouldn't be zeroed after that. Probably matched back up, mismatched scopes put back on sniper rifles, by the GI's when they got back from the front and traded/swaped souvenirs, turning them into captured bring backs.
David

·
Silver Bullet member
15,636 Posts
You are correct, one would not think that; but the GI's who returned with them swear that they are as found. Of course 50 year memories can fail; but a mismatched scope could explain why the sniper met his end too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts