Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandfather brought back a Japanese Sniper Rifle after WW2 it is in mint condition still today. it has the tripod and scope with it.. My dad got it in 1978 then my son got it last year! My son made a glass case to display it in. my question is. Whats the value of it a ball park figure will be good enough

· Registered
2,008 Posts
Welcome to the board TyeCheysMum.

radford will probably chime in on this one. He collects the Japanese snipers.

Also, there is a Japanese collectors section to gunboards and it is located here

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51

You can always post your questions there too

· Platinum Bullet Member
967 Posts
Break out the camera!!!

Can't help with the value part...but would LOVE to see a few pictures...as would many others here. You have a rare example - in that it is all original - which makes those of use interested in historical sniper rifles...how can I put this delicately...oh, yea...DROOL! :D

· Banned
7,260 Posts
Need pics to figure out which model it is.
I know of a original condition type 97 (with a mismatched scope) that went for over $4000 not too long ago...
Heck, the scope off a 97 is worth around $2000 by itself...

· Gold Bullet member
14,546 Posts
Hope this works this time. Second attempt and the first failed after a good post and 45 minutes work.

The Japanese sniper rifles were quite capable rifles. With the exception of the prototypes and rare type 38 snipers, there are 6 variations as I see them.

The Type 97, based on the Type 38 rifle in 6.5mm Japanese cal., with a left sided scope base for a 2.5X non-adjustable scope. Kokura manufactured near 9,000 and Nagoya near 14,000. Kokuras had a monopod.

In about 1941 Kokura began conversion of the T-99 rifle for sniper use. The production run was 1,000 rifles using the 2.5X scopes but with a reticule calibrated for the 7.7 Japanese round and are so marked. The had a left sided mount base much like the T-97s. These often have a monopod also. Of these, 51 are in the data base kept by Victor Soto. He is the Japanese Sniper researcher and author. Victor is available on the Japanese forum and most helpful.

Nagoya followed the trial run at Kokura with type 99 sniper production producing near 10,000. Most had a 4X fixed adjustment scope. About 2,2000 got a 2.5X much like the one mentioned for the Kokuras on a cutback(smaller to fit the smaller scope) base and are referred to as "cutbacks". About 2,000 got a 4X scope on an adjustable mount.

All issued scopes were numbered to the rifles and extras/spares were not so numbered. As a result, because the scopes lack external adjustment, rifles with mismatched scopes will have highly variable points of impact and fit to a given rifle's base. Rifles with matched scopes today are very rare, probably less than a dozen.

Many Japanese "sniper" rifles will turn out to be regular rifles used by a marksman to snipe US troops. The best indicators of an original sniper rifle is the location of the serial number and the original mount base on the left of the receiver.

In the first group picture, all are type 99 snipers. The top 2 are Kokuras, one with a monopod. The other 3 are Nayoyas with the middle gun being a "cutback", the 4th a 4X standard and the bottom is a 4X adjustable mount. Not sure where the type 97 sniper pictures are located.

Here are a couple of Kokura type 97 pictures with the scope off. Just what I could find. In the second group picture, which I know is poor, the left 2 including the one with monopod are Kokura. The third and forth from the left are Nagoya type 97s.

Concerning value, $2500-$7500 with scope depending on specifics. Most will fall in the $3000-$4500 range.

· Registered
654 Posts
Let's not be too hasty.Just because someone is curious of the value of a family heirloom does not mean they want to sell it off.I have several US gold coins that were spent in my grandmothers store early in the century.I would never part with them,but that doesn't stop me from being interested in their value.Possibly he wishes to insure a rare item against theft.Believe me,I cant stand those who sell family history for a few dollars either,but why not give him the benefit of the doubt until he indicates otherwise?

· Banned
7,260 Posts
Number 1 - it's not a 'tripod' it is a 'monopod' and the fact that you want to know it's monetary value disgusts me. WM
People who get disgusted by other people's financial concerns without knowing the circumstances of said people disgust ME!

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Maybe somewhat off topic, but I'd like to know where your grandfather served. I had a great uncle who was in the earliest forces to engage on Guadalcanal, and if my memory serves me correctly, he had stories of the Jap snipers troubling them...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.