Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this Japanese 37mm AT gun outside a cave mouth at the top of a ridge. As I was clearing the vegitation I uncovered a complete skeleton! Yikes! Hope I didn't piss off the spirits....

Note long bones near barrel.

-Eric

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Found this Japanese 37mm AT gun outside a cave mouth at the top of a ridge. As I was clearing the vegitation I uncovered a complete skeleton! Yikes! Note long bones near barrel.

-Eric
Just curious if the Japanese government is notified when remains are discovered. I've heard that they (Japanese gov't.) sponsor mass cremations of some remains.

C/

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, they are not. Special teams are dispatched to the island to the island to locate any remains. I was contacted and asked to lead one team (lead by Gen. Hideki Tojo's grandaughter) to remains I had discovered on past trips.

-Eric

·
Registered
486 Posts
Tonight on The War the battle at Peleliu was featured. Much of the film that was shown was in color also. Its amazing how swept of foliage the island was at the time of the battle. Kept hoping to see the tank that was featured here earlier but it was not shown.

·
Silver Bullet member
32,367 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, that is her. You can imagine my mixed feelings assisting Iwanami Tojo with the recovery efforts knowing that her grandfather was a notorious war criminal (I showed them the caves where the dead were found but tried to stay clear during recovery)! I feel good, however, knowing that those war dead were properly retrieved and cremated. Sometimes I wish that I never chanced upon those dead...very eerie!

-Eric

1 - 6 of 6 Posts