Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys i was offered a complete japanese uniform set. Would this be a ww2 parade uniform? It is a nice set. Trying to learn more about it as i am unfamiliar with most japanese uniforms

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Army dress uniform. Impressive display items but not really what most people collect when they think PTO and IJA soldiers. Its like owning a set of Marines dress blues - cool but not exactly Iwo Jima flag raising over Mt Suribachi historical imagery

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information. Anyone able to give a ballpark estimate as to what i should pay up?

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
The officer dress hats go for 200 plus depending on rank. The whole set, probably 400-600. Is the hat and dress tunic named to the same guy?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The uniform is a little confusing to me.

On the arm the sleeve cuffs with the elaborate scroll lines look like this is for a lieutenant but the shoulder boards (with no stars) are for a warrant officer

The color (black) at the bottom of the arm cuffs, and in the neck collar insignia cuff area, indicates the branch of service to be military police

The red and white striped waist sash is for a field grade officer (gold fringes on the ends).

The circular gold bands around the hat are in an odd "middle of the cap" location. What I am used to seeing in my reference material is that the bands start at the bottom and as rank gets higher the extra bands stack on top and the height increase accordingly - but always from the bottom up - never starts in the middle? Maybe this is due to being a military police dress and the two stripes do mean an officer? Still does not explain the shoulder board question

reference this sold set to see the hat band positions
Original WWII Imperial Japanese Army Officer Captain Full Dress Uniform Unissued in Box

PS - i think that sale price is insane! Only way they got it was the total uniform and storage box completeness and due to the massive customer following they have. No way even on EBay could you repeat that - IMO

I would suggest you post this on the warrelics.eu or Wehrmacht awards forum before you purchase it - if its a grab bag of rank and styles you do NOT want to own it.
Research - then purchase/pass is always the wisest order when its possible

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys thanks for all the replies. I will be posting on wrf in hopes of learning abit more. It seems dealers are getting a premium for these uniform sets. But thats online retail. I will be sure to report my findings soon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts