Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, finally got to take the 99 out for shooting today and ran into some problms.

1) original barrel converted by Bob Naess to 308. The gun on the lowest gas setting would rip rim off the round where the extractor grabbed it. When a cleaning rod was used to clear the round it popped out easily and has no marking from the chamber. Any suggestions gang?

2) 7.62X39 Jim Langley conversion kit, ran fine and fed fine but would run 1 round longer after the trigger was released. Not sure if this is normal with the Jap 99 or not. No gas adjustment on barrel block with his conversion. Comments?

· Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have taken it apart before the shoot to check it since the safety for the locking block was sticking. The sear spring is pretty weak and the sear looked pretty good but I'll check that better. Maybe the 99 op rod will help this issues as well.

What are the two have rounds on the front of the trigger housing for anyway? I could not figure that one out.

· Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bob, I took a closer look at the barrel and noticed that the carry handle was actually hitting the receiver and not allowing the barrel to seat all the way back on the shim. I see how you converted the barrel by setting the shoulder forward and moving the gas block forward as well. It looks like you modified the carry handle. I am going to grind it a little bit more to clear the receiver and recheck the ehad space. I'm also going to switch to the T99 op rod and bolt. The barrel did not come with a gas regulator so I used one from my original barrel. I checked the gas ports and they have not been modified (I have 3 gas blocks to compare). It was set on "1" as the lowest gas setting. I don't think the exctractor was fully seating on the rim and might be part of the cause. I'll let you know.

· Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ugh, tried the gun out again today in 308 and it was a no go. I did not bring any other barrels so it got stuffed into the car. Bob, I'll be giving you a call soon to discuss the barrel and to see if you can help me out. I think I know what the problem is but would like to talk to you about it before I post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.