Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
404 Posts
Here is a video of it shooting the 7.62X39.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt3VkQG-Xps

you can see it run away for a few shots in the video.
Mongo,

Saw it and it looks nice. Couple of thoughts on the firing after letting up
on the trigger.

1) Insufficient gas pressure.
2) Sear is not rising fully.
3) Sear is worn, rounded and/or sear spring is weak.

It seems like the op rod "wants" to catch on the sear and then it lets go.

Take the small square plate off the bottom of the trigger group (just in front of the trigger area). While the plate is off, get the sear and spring out and get in there with some solvent to make sure there is no gunk in there to impede the sear rising when you let up on the trigger. Make sure the sear does not appear worn. Try another sear/spring combo if you want to; they should pretty much be interchangeable unless you have a late sear as a replacement (they are not cut for the sear safety and can't be used with the sear safety in place.)

Type 96 LMG

· Registered
404 Posts
I have taken it apart before the shoot to check it since the safety for the locking block was sticking. The sear spring is pretty weak and the sear looked pretty good but I'll check that better. Maybe the 99 op rod will help this issues as well.

What are the two have rounds on the front of the trigger housing for anyway? I could not figure that one out.
Fair point and worth a try. If you are still running the T-96 op rod, swap out that with one of the spare T-99 rod and bolt assemblies you have. Since you mentioned the spring is weak, that seems a good (and simple) item to swap out first.

As I understand it, at one point very early on in the T-96 series, there was a hole drilled through the half rounds which allowed some type of mounting pin to fit the LMG to a tripod. I usually see them slightly dented from banging into things. Anyway, that's what I've heard... FWIW, on late T-99 trigger groups, the half rounds and the sear safety/ safety channel were deleted.

Looking forward to another update.

Type 96 LMG

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.