Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. I have come into possession of an old type 30 bayonet. I am looking to identify the time period it was manufactured.

Serial number: 1012070 (edit) 12070
I stand corrected, originally what I took for a 10 is actually an additional identification marking. though i cant seem to locate any charts identifying this mark.

Any help in placing this piece in its proper time would be a great help.
I am also struggling with weather or not I should have it restored to original condition. any input on this would help me a lot. thanks.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,337 Posts
THERE IS NO RESTORATION, THERE IS ONLY RUINING A COLLECTOR'S ITEM BY MAKING IT 'PRETTY'.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That's a nice looking bayonet. It was produced at the Hikari Seiki Seisakusho Arsenal (Tokyo hourglass marking). Don't have anything for ya in terms of when it was made, but its an early Type 30. It's up to you if you want to 'restore' it or not, but know that doing so will surely ruin it's value.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your reply, where it was made isnt the mystery I am trying to solve. that much we know already. From what I can determine thus far from the markings and design, my friend and I are guessing it is between 1937-1942. However due to a massive lack of serial number registries it makes it hard to pinpoint an exact year. Sadly the scabbard has no identifying marks to help assist in this either. Nor did it come with the frog to my disappointment.

None the less a beautiful piece.
Thank you for the feedback on if it should be restored. We are leaning to leave it in its present condition. but still value the additional input.

·
Administrator
3,115 Posts
Many folks want an 'exact' date and the truth is, you are lucky to get within a month for some things made (dated items like a nambu) and for most weapons, you might be lucky to get close by early or later in the year.

As a kid, I 'cleaned' up a bayonet or two, didn't know better. unless its been rusted by neglect, the rest is just age.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Kelbec,
You have a nice Japanese Type 30 bayonet there, and like the others above, I would do nothing to restore it but I would give both bayonet and scabbard a very light clean with the finest of steel wool wet with oil to remove any lite rust but not the remaining original finish, and then once cleaned, keep it oiled. From what I can see, the blade is factory sharpened for about 200 mm from the point and this is how these bayonets are, the rest of blade should not be sharpened. The bayonet is 80 odd years old so to restore the blades edge would destroy its history and value at the same time, that is my own opinion. Cant help with the age of bayonet but as far as scabbards go, I do not think they ever show any markings at all and I have never seen a marked scabbard. If this is your first bayonet you will probably now catch the bayonet bug, so happy collecting and check forums for more information on these bayonets.
Cheers.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
If you plan on keeping it a collector's item don't sharpen it. Generally the most you should do to a bayonet is clean off the red (active) rust and wipe off any dirt or dried grease with a cloth. Once you start taking off metal you can't put it back. Best of luck...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts