Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just bought a japanese sword from a woman, it was her father, he brought it back in ww2 , he was a marine. it wasn't taken to good of care, but still nice. all I did was wiped the blade down with a oil rag. hope someone could translate the writing. the blade is app. 28 1/4 inches over all length is app. 35 5/8 inchs . suba is iron, scabbard is wood , looks like sharkskin cover . any help would be thankfull . thanks Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
I believe it's the name of the smith. The top pair of characters are a family name "Fujisawa" (藤沢). The next two are the first name, which I read partially as "Hide_?" (英_?). The bottom kanji is "made" (作).

C/

·
Silver Bullet member
600 Posts
It could be but I see no smith "Terunaga" with that form of character of "Teru" listed in Hawleys or the Meikan. I was looking at Hawleys (big book) HID 207, also Dr. Homma/Ishi Meikan p.791. These sources have the right characters for the Hidenaga, however the mei is unusual with the surname "Fujisawa". But I think some shin-shinto smiths did put there surnames on the mei like that.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,134 Posts
Okha, thanks for your info. I was looking around and could not find any good reference to a late edo (shin-shinto) smith with the name 藤澤英永nor 英永, except for one named 金生丸源英永that seemed to have been active in the Bunkyu era (eary 1860's), but had no reference to how the 英永 mei was read. One reference to this smith was that he was a student of 英義, and the only significant 英義 that I could find in the similar era and locale was 藤枝太郎英義 (Fujieda Taro Teruyoshi) of Musashi Province active until around the Ansei era (mid / late 1850's), and kinda deduced that if being master and student they would carry the same first Kanji on their meis and hence thought the read could be Terunaga. The Kanji 英 can both be read "Hide" or "Teru", and a few shinto era smiths I know that started with 英 were all read as Teru, but again these were all my deductions and based on no true reference on 英永himself. Shows how tough a study this world of swords is !
Thanks again for the reference info.

·
Silver Bullet member
600 Posts
Yes Edokko this is a tough one because there is no reference to a exact signature. Sorry I mistype the Hawleys reference, instead of HID 207 it should be HID 297, on page 60 in the big book (I hit the 0 instead of the 9). This one is the student of Hideyoshi, I think were talking about the same smith, seems to be same era too. I don't think its a big named smith due to lack of info. on him.

·
Silver Bullet member
600 Posts
Interesting link Edokko, I'm pretty sure this is the same smith. Its kind of like the smiths Nagayoshi and Chogi, same characters but different pronunication. After doing more research this character is listed as "Hide" in both Hawleys and the Nihonto meikan, but under the link provided by you and in the Toko Soran by kawaguchi its listed as "Teru". Which ever way you say it his teachers point to the same source. Even though the swordsmith were examining is very average his teachers Teru/hideyoshi is not a bad smith, infact it looks like his teacher is masayoshi who is a student of the masahide school. Very interesting indeed. Not sure about this last attachment??? I don't really think its anything but maybe some worm that ate out the wood???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts