Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trying to help out a friend. This genre of collecting is completely out of my expertise. Here has what he believes is authentic Japanese sword from WWII. He want to see if it's authentic or not. Appreciate any info.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,606 Posts
I am NOT an expert on those things, but it looks to me like some military issue swords for NCOs that i have seen. Others will see more and know better.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Current Chinese fake. Real swords don't have serial numbers on the habaki. Handle wrap is new, blade tip is wrong, tang markings are gibberish, etc, etc...

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,746 Posts
Might try over on the Japanese board but, I think you're going to get the same answer - Chinese Copy. Worth maybe couple hundred dollars for some attorney to put on his wall. Trenchwarfare pretty much nailed it. My last trip to Macao & Hong Kong these were in the $50 (US) category at antique shops and street markets.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Eastbank, your sword is a very nice, authentic, Type 95 NCO sword. The "tassel", is a curtain cord. I'd loose that. What is the dis-coloration on the blade? Looks like grease.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
yes there is grease on the blade, but it is also discolored from improper storage and or use during the war. this sword was carried and used during ww-2. i don,t think its worth a whole lot, but it fits into my small collection of japanese items. eastbank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If the serial number is on the blade itself typically on the Shinogi (the blade Ridge) near the habaki then it is authentic Japanese WW2 sword. It was among those that were mass produced by the military and stamped using roman numerals.

Seeing the serial on the habaki itself to me would doubt the legitimacy of the sword. For an officer the serial numbers are usually more discrete and in 3 separate places (the buttcap, the fuchi, the spacers and the handguard).

Typically if a member of a samurai family how had the sword went to war then you would see their sword in army issued fittings. Here is where you would typically see the officers treatment I mentioned above.

If it is a fake out of China - then I would say its not worth very much other than as a novelty piece.

I'm not an expert though so please take this with a grain of salt... there is always exceptions to the rules!

·
Copper Bullet Member
126 Posts
The geometry of the blade, tip, are oddly misshapen/ rounded looking. Almost like its swollen like stung by a bee. A dead giveaway its a cheap reproduction. The handle wrapping is of a cheaply loosely knitted material that is wrapped in the cheap fashion of the crossovers on the diamonds not alternating. Hope he didn't pay much for this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.