Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've done bits & pieces on this subject and thought I'd put it all into one package.
I'll break it up into three posts concerning each group of slings.
This first post covers T-38 Rifle Slings as well as a T-30 sling (top sling in the first two photos) They seem to be pretty much the same except the T-30 sling has the welted edges and they used a smaller guage wire to make the buckle (early T-38 slings do have the welted edges as well). I have it mounted on a fairly early T-38 (sorry Monkeyboy ;))
Photos 1&2) T-30 & T-38 sling comparison. These slings have 8 adjustment holes with three in one place and 5 in another. Some have "field added" holes.
Photos 3&4) Rubberized T-38 sling variation on my 1st series T-99 (These show up often on T-99 rifles) These also have the same hole arrangment as the leather slings.
Photos 5, 6 & 7) Wire bale sling that is seen in a number of original photos being used on T-38 rifles. They also seem to have been used on the T-99s and may have been used on the paratrooper rifles. They have been recorded with cloth and leather keepers
Photo 8) Shot of second buckle slot that allows two buckle positions for the T-30 & T-38 leather and rubberized sling adjustments.

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
T-38 Carbine Slings

1) Here are some variations of the sling for the T-38 Carbine. These have 8 adjustment holes all in one area and often have an added hole that allows the sling to be cinched up tight.
2) Rubberized carbine sling that was obviously used on a T-44 Note the T-99 buckle
3) Comparison shot of the T-38 carbine sling buckle to that of a T-99 sling. They have the same shape but are different in size. The carbine sling is the same width as the T-38 rifle sling.
These have only one buckle slot

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
T-44 & T-99 Slings

1) Shot of T-44/99 slings. The top three are identical to the standard T-99 sling except for the welted edges. Two of mine came from T-44s & one has the Tokyo mark with early inspection stamps. You can see that all of these follow the same pattern. The only difference I've noted is that some of the later slings only have one keeper (the T-99 manual shows slings with one or two keepers). All of these have 10 adjustment holes in one area and only one buckle slot.
2) T-99 rubberized sling variations. L-R, Laminated, Coated & Wrapped
3, 4 & 5) Woven hemp sling on a 23rd series Kokura
6, 7 & 8) Cloth "training rifle" slings that often show up on T-99 rifles. First one I ever saw was on a Nagoya T-99 Long I found in Albuquerque, NM in 1971 for $35 while I was in Nuclear Weapons School.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,603 Posts
Great post and pictures.

Just one question, how can you tell the woven sling is hemp? Could be something else? like sisal, palm, or some other veg. fiber? I guess if you had any info on where it was picked up you would have said. I like it the best of all.:D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Great Photos

Great photos and post. Gives an excellent review of what to look for on a real sling for old and new collectors alike. Thanks!

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great post and pictures.

Just one question, how can you tell the woven sling is hemp? Could be something else? like sisal, palm, or some other veg. fiber? I guess if you had any info on where it was picked up you would have said. I like it the best of all.:D
It would probably require testing to determine exactly what it's made of. It's much softer than sisal and I don't know what palm rope would be like. The material is much like the canvas in my Knee Mortar ammo pouch and I'm pretty sure it's made from hemp. According to that catalog that Fred had reprinted years ago the Japanese did use hemp for such things. I kinda doubt this was field made since there are others nearly identical to this one. May have been a very late war "Cottage" product.
So, the bottom line is that I really don't know any more about it than what you see :eek:
What's cool is the tag that has the soldiers name and it's numbered to the rifle :)

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Beautiful Slings, how much for the lot!
Thanks but I tend to hoard these for some reason :rolleyes:
Here's a pile of my unattached slings. Note the two T-38 slings that have aluminum buckles. T-38 buckles may be brass, steel or aluminum.
Seems all the T-44/99 slings have steel buckles - blued, painted (black or green) or galvanized.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Informative posts like this is why we all put up with you. Good job!
Thanks! I was expecting something different from you ;)
See what one can do with a camera :D

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
I keep you on you toes with what to expect! I really should of said "see what you can do with a camera & nothing else to do" ;)

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"see what you can do with a camera & nothing else to do" ;)
Yep, doing laundry and putting this post together was my idea of an exciting Friday night :D

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,514 Posts
These are my carbine slings (top four) and Type 99 slings of various types.

John in Charlotte, NC

·
Gold Bullet member
11,096 Posts
Thanks A-dog! Great info. :)

·
Gold Bullet member
1,336 Posts
Excellent post and photos AD! Another example of why collecting Japanese military weapons is so interesting. There are so many variations. Thanks!

Dean (the other one)

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
These are my carbine slings (top four) and Type 99 slings of various types.

John in Charlotte, NC
Nice John! Looks like we need to add brass to the material T-99 sling buckles were made of. I thought I had seen photos of one long ago but wasn't sure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you for posting Arisakadogs, that is a wealth of information. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Verrry interesting! That's the first I've seen of the woven slings.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts