Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two straps on my Type 96 Magazine Pouches, with two Quick Disconnect Buckles and Canvas Buckles that are different. Are these correct for the Type 96 Magazine Pouch strap?
I know that the Type 100 LMG also had a sling with two Quick Disconnect Buckles and the Type 96 LMG also had a sling with two Quick Disconnect Buckles. Can any one tell me the length of these two slings and what the Quick Disconnect Buckles looked like. Images would be great.

Kaydee
Dwight

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Kaydee
The lower one looks like my mag pouch strap. I have two of those but only one pouch. I have never seen a slider like the top strap has. But I know there are variations on these. I now of three different snap clip designs.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kaydee
The lower one looks like my mag pouch strap. I have two of those but only one pouch. I have never seen a slider like the top strap has. But I know there are variations on these. I now of three different snap clip designs.
I have two pouches and the straps came with the pouches.The upper strap cam with the pouch. Both have the same Kanji markings in white, so I think the pouch, strap and buckle are an original set. Can you post images of the snap clips and what they went to. I am trying to find the measurements of the Type 96 LMG sling, so that I can compare them. I am hoping someone on the forum has one and can supply me with the information.
kaydee
Dwight

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Check out my old post showing the variations I have found over the years:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check out my old post showing the variations I have found over the years:

Japkrap,
I had already seen your post I was more interested in the length of the LNG pouch Canvas straps, plus the length of the Type 96 Canvas Sling with the two Quick Disconnect Buckles. Do you have image of the Type 96 LMG Sling and the length.
My slide lock buckle is not brass it is Nickel Plated over brass.
kaydee
Dwight

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
What you have there are 2 shoulder straps for the LMG dual or quad magazine pouches, they really aren't slings although they are frequently found on Japanese rifles, LMG's & T-100 SMG's, the true LMG (T-11, 96 & 99) slings are different from the shoulder straps, they can be cowhide, canvas web, rubberized canvas or a late war hybrid type that was half cowhide & half canvas web, I'll post some photos sometime over the weekend...

-Rick

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Here are the shots of the Nambu LMG slings, I believe all the variations are there, HOWEVER! If by chance someone has something different please post some photos...

From top to bottom we have:
1) Type-11 Cowhide.
2) Type-11 Cowhide.
3) Type-96/99 Cowhide.
4) Type-96/99 Canvas Web w/ Cowhide Tongue.
5) Type-96/99 Hybrid, Half Cowhide & Half Web Strap which is the same material that the mag pouch shoulder straps are made from.
6) Type-96/99 Rubberized Canvas.
7) Is clearly Japanese & is what I believe was intended for SMG's including the T-100, we have butted heads about this in the past so there's no need to go down that path again (Rob!)

-Rick

IMG_4906.JPG IMG_4908.JPG IMG_4909.JPG IMG_4910.JPG IMG_4911.JPG IMG_4912.JPG IMG_4913.JPG IMG_4914.JPG IMG_4915.JPG IMG_4916.JPG

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Japkrap,
Thanks that is what I was looking for. It appears as though the over all length is roughly 38 inches for the Machine Gun Sling and the length of the Type 96 and Type 99 Magazine Pouch Canvas Strap was also around 38 inches. The difference is that the Machine Gun Sling were either leather or Canvas with a leather attachment.
kaydee
Dwight

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Understood!

I think its best to call them what they are: Mag Pouch Shoulder Strap & Light Machine Gun Sling, this way there is no confusion between the two...

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Understood!

I think its best to call them what they are: Mag Pouch Shoulder Strap & Light Machine Gun Sling, this way there is no confusion between the two...
japkrap,
I made the changes. Does that reflect what they are.
Kaydee
Dwight

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Yes, but all I meant was that in the future you'll avoid lots of confusion by calling them by their correct titles: "Magazine Pouch Shoulder Strap" & "Light Machine Gun Sling"...

You didn't have to edit your post...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts