Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, A fellow member of Ohioans for Concealed Carry suggested dropping in here to ask my question. Where can I find information regarding a Japanese scope? The scope was found while my in-laws where cleaning out the family home after a brother-in-law passed. My father-in-law was an Avenger pilot on the USS Boxer in the Pacific, we are assuming the scope was a WWII bring back. The scope is labeled 4x7, No6985, and has a star surrounding a circle & dot. It appears intact, except for what I surmise was a rubber eye piece, optics are clear and the reticle is in focus. It was found in the case which is in great shape except for the leather latch which is fragile. The family is looking to ascertain approximate value in order to sell it for the estate.
Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
264 Posts
Greetings all, A fellow member of Ohioans for Concealed Carry suggested dropping in here to ask my question. Where can I find information regarding a Japanese scope? The scope was found while my in-laws where cleaning out the family home after a brother-in-law passed. My father-in-law was an Avenger pilot on the USS Boxer in the Pacific, we are assuming the scope was a WWII bring back. The scope is labeled 4x7, No6985, and has a star surrounding a circle & dot. It appears intact, except for what I surmise was a rubber eye piece, optics are clear and the reticle is in focus. It was found in the case which is in great shape except for the leather latch which is fragile. The family is looking to ascertain approximate value in order to sell it for the estate.
Thanks, Mike

Mike
In my area I see asking price scopes 1200 to 1800
Cases 300 to 600
If you can take a picture of the number on the small plate with four screws it could match a known rifle
If so you probable get a good offer to consider
Barry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike
In my area I see asking price scopes 1200 to 1800
Cases 300 to 600
If you can take a picture of the number on the small plate with four screws it could match a known rifle
If so you probable get a good offer to consider
Barry
Hi Barry, Thanks for the information. Here is the picture requested.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
It's for a type 99 sniper rifle. The number on the plate would have been the rifle it was issued to. It's a four power non adjustable model. If someone has that rifle it would be extremely valuable to them. With the case and crystal clear lenses and grid you could probably figure in the mid-teens as far as value goes. ls there a lense brush in the case?
Can you post a picture of the case internals?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hello Mike,
The number on the rear plate as Barry mentioned is the rifle to which your scope was issued to. Although I cannot make out the last number (3 or 8?), the matching rifle for your scope has not been reported. The closest rifle reported is #4465, with 4x scopes #4461 and #4478 known.
Prices on scopes have dropped a bit over the last couple years with Barry's & Big Ed's assessment being very close to going price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Big Ed, Sorry no brush, wondered what the empty hole in the case was for. Picture below.

Jangle, thanks for the info, the number is 4468.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts