Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a picture for those of you who saw the Japanese pole-spear in Ken Burn's doc featuring the Saipan banzai.

Sorry not the best quality but I took a digital of a print that was shot through a glass case. Museum in Honolulu.

Cheers, Eric

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Attaching bayonets on bamboo or other poles were part of the "Bayonet Technique" and the attachment method is formally described within a 1942 manual issued by the Army.
These weapons were used to augment the attacking formal soldiers by utilizing non-combat back support soldiers who were not issued with rifles. Pity the cooks, transports and horse caretakers etc who were not intended for combat but were ordered to assemble these spears and run head-on into hails of machinegun fire from the landing allies.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,633 Posts
Pole bayonet attachment

Japanese drawings on 'Pole' bayonets types was on page 256 of the September 2006 issue of Banzai.

It shows both bamboo spears and 4 methods of attaching bayonets to a pole. There is a fifth spear style made from a straight blade.

Very interesting weapons.

·
Registered
51 Posts
On the History channel there was a doc about Tarawa were you could see a bayonet attached to a pole. I think it was from the series "the last days of WWII"

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could it have been the same video clip? Often times, documentaries fill in scenes that don't relate to the actual battle. I hate when I view a Peleliu doc and see common Tarawa archival footage, etc.

-Eric

1 - 7 of 7 Posts