Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up these Japanese personal items. There is something about the small personal use items, that a soldier would carry, that fascinate me. It appears these items were war souviners for a Marine that served with the 4th Marine Division. Most of the Japanese items are stamped by field intelligence. I can read a bit of Italian. but Japanese escapes me. Could I ask Edokko or another gentleman to take a look please. There was a map case that came with these items. I don't know if they were all from the same case or not. Three Japanese memorandum books came with the lot, some field manuals. One looks to be a tactical manual and the other appears to have a phrase book for various regions. Speculation on my part. The dog tag is a fancy one. Officer's? Postcard, wooden tags and some religious items as well. I wish the items could talk! Any thoughts appreciated.
Respectfully, Arditi

Attachments

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
The "dog tag" appears to be an identity badge or somesuch. The face reads, from left-hand column to right, "1941 term - #360 - 1927 contract", while the reverse reads, from top to bottom, "Nanyo Kohatsu Co., Ltd." Takheito will have to supplement my poor efforts on the notebooks.

C/

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Seinen for the translation. I did a quick search and it appears "Nanyo Kohatsu Co., Ltd" was involved with economic matters in the South Seas. There were a number of other items with the group, like a civilian canteen, fan, etc. If these civilian workers had been on an island while being attacked by US forces; would they have been conscripted in with the Japanese forces? Thanks for the help!
Regards, Arditi

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
I did a quick search and it appears "Nanyo Kohatsu Co., Ltd" was involved with economic matters in the South Seas. If these civilian workers had been on an island while being attacked by US forces; would they have been conscripted in with the Japanese forces?
Not sure about that. Takehito will know. I'm just pinch-hitting until he joins us.

C/

·
Gold Bullet member
6,134 Posts
Nanyo Kohatsu was a quasi government operation incorporated to develop the southern pacific islands and one of their largest being the sugar refinery plants in Saipan. The documents are a mishmash of Nanyo Kohatsu employee tag, personal note booklet from 1941, manuals, name tags etc, but more likely was collected from the abandoned plant bldg in Saipan. Hope this helps !

·
Silver Bullet member
854 Posts
Nice assortment of items Arditi, civilian or otherwise. Hope you get some more clues and can track down more information about them.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,216 Posts
Interesting stuff and in very nice condition. The chop sticks look similar to this set I bought back in the late '60s at "Bob's Military Antiques" in Santa Monica, CA. I was then told that they were military issue - maybe, maybe not?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help gents. Edokko, great help, thanks! Additionally, there were a pair of petrified tabis, civilian canteen, paper flag and other Marine specific items. I was hoping for something a bit more sexy with the items. Oh well, to be expected when one enters a new collecting field. Diaofushui, skim970 and Dogs, many thanks. Dogs, the lacquer on your chopsticks look like mine. I hope mine are military issue as well. Thanks for the pic. Do you have any other Japanese personal items you could start a thread on? I think they would be interesting to see.
Best Regards, Arditi

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,216 Posts
Do you have any other Japanese personal items you could start a thread on? I think they would be interesting to see.
Best Regards, Arditi
I have some stuff in my mannequins haversack not sure if I remember what all is in there. I'll try to give it a look later today. I know there is a sewing kit in there.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,216 Posts
Sound like interesting items. Thanks!
I didn't forget! I walked into the gun room Sunday & realized that I can't even get to my mannequin. Time to rearrange it again & I'll try to get to it asap

1 - 14 of 14 Posts