Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received a Type 14 pistol. It is a 19.9 date code and is in 98%+ condition. It came with a rubberized canvas holster and is all matching. It came with two accessories: 1) an additional non-matching magazine, and a bakelite oil bottle. The bottle was in the holster's ammunition pouch and is roughly the same size as the pouch. It is black in color, has a screw on top with a small metal rod attached to it. The back side of the bottle is flat, while the front is curved. It looks like an oil bottle. But to what? What is its value? I couldn't locate anything on the internet. I was hoping someone here could help me. Thank you.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,190 Posts
That's exactly what it sounds like. Long ago I bought a T-14 that had the Cavalry type oiler in the holster's ammo pouch that would have worked well in the pouch along with one 15 round box of ammo.
Here are some oiler photos showing the rear oilers & how used and a couple of cav. oilers

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,190 Posts
Really? Last I heard even Jareth didn't have a bakelite cavalry oiler? Should have went for some good bucks.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I don't have a bakelite cavalry oiler. Just two variants in standard rear ammo pouch style. Can't recall seeing one offered & would of pased on a damaged/chipped example. Sold off two cav. pouch variants w/o oilers recently. Just holding onto my early variant with sling & tools.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could someone provide me an approximate value of the bakelite oiler? Someone offered to trade me a box of Midway 8mm Nambu for it. Fair trade?

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,190 Posts
Can't recall seeing one offered & would of pased on a damaged/chipped example.
You are a snob, huh? You wouldn't settle for a less than perfect example until something better came along? That's what up-grading is all about. And, while waiting for that perfect piece the one you have is still appreciating in value. The bakelite cav oiler is an item that I've only ever seen three examples of and I had owned them all. I let the first two go long ago, foolishly, & am gonna hang onto the one I have now.

As far as value on your rear pouch type of bakelite oiler - I'm pretty sure it would be worth more than a box of Midway ammo. This style in bakelite seems to be more common than the metal variations. I haven't seen any recent auctions or sales of these so I can't speculate.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
No snob just sick to death with "upgrading". My advice to anyone starting out is to wait for the best example. I have upgraded in the past & wont do so again. It's extremely hard to sell an item that less than perfect unless it's super rare. Better keep the money in the bank and be impatient. Besides people who collect oilers shouldn't judge people who collect saki cups.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,190 Posts
Well, we're in a "wee bit of a snit" as Scotty from Star Trek would say, aren't we? I've almost always had great luck with the upgrading process. You probably would too if you could post photos. If you haven't seen one of these bakelite oilers before, I'd take that as evidence that it's pretty scarce. Anyway, to each his own.
I guess I could put pretty little flowers in my oilers & maybe they'd look almost as gay as a sake cup collection ;) So, I take it that you collect these cups as well? No surprise there.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,190 Posts
Well, well. Maybe there is hope for the east coast??

·
Silver Bullet member
15,639 Posts
I want a saki cup, but all I have seen are way too small. Need one that holds at least a pint.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts