Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone here can help me. I got this box from a family friend who's dad was in Japan pre & post WWII. He brought back several swords, a nambu, this box, and some other things. I'm guessing this box was probably from some sort of scope or something. I had one of my friends mom who's Japanese try to interpert some of the charachters. It looks like it had a leather strap around thewhole hing but most of it is missing. However, the little leather loops were the strap went throughare still intact.

My friend sent me this message from her mom:
"My mom took a look at the pics, and she says the writing is very old. Maybe 80-100years old. So it is hard for her to translate.
The first picture is some kind of list. She recognized the characters for lightbulb, glasses, electric key, vivid mirror, and under that she's thinks are characters for the number of people.
The second picture is for a meter or scale company. She knows that these are from before WWII"

If anyone has any idea what it is, and a price for it that would be great.

Thanks, Will

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't think it was a hundred years old, but I think she was saying the charachters are old. Not sure about Japanese, but what charachters or numbers make in March '41? That's good info thanks! Is there anyone on this site that can translate this writing.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
The last picture you posted, the data plate has the date as March, Showa 16, which is 1941. Some of us can translate, but it take me a long time with a Kanji dictionary to get mediocre results.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,215 Posts
Can't say exactly what was in the box since the all important ID tag is missing, but from the company name (Nihon Gauge and Instrument Manufacturing Co., Ltd), and the contents list, it looks like whatever inside was a optics based measuring device.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.