Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are some photos of another foreign-produced rifle that was imported and apparently used in some capacity by the Japanese. It's an Austrian Werndl rifle that I picked up at one of the late 90s Tulsa shows. The wooden tag has kanji translating "Austrian Infantry Gun - Among a Number of Misc. Guns."

C/

·
Silver Bullet member
15,556 Posts
Seinen,
No markings on the rifle; only on the tag?

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seinen,
No markings on the rifle; only on the tag?
Nope, just a marked tag. Somewhat unusual, but I do have some additional documentation that details the import of some Austrian rifles around 1879-80. I'm still in the process of getting them translated.

C/

·
Registered
265 Posts
Wow. I want that. Have checked to see if it's still in the original caliber? I would assume so if your information is correct, since they would have come in before the 1877 modifications, but that might be an indication of whether or not your information is right.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow. I want that. Have checked to see if it's still in the original caliber? I would assume so if your information is correct, since they would have come in before the 1877 modifications, but that might be an indication of whether or not your information is right.

I have some original Werndl ammunition. A round will chamber. I've obviously not tried to fire it as the ammunition is dated in the late 1880s.

C/

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Missed (long story, seller renigged on G'Broker) a French Gras with Japanese numbers. Mainly wanted it for the book, the photo with the numbers he posted is clear so I saved my self a bunch of money which will now be spent on the rebuilt Corvair engine. Chip, Can (May) I obtain hard copy photos of that rifle?

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Chip, Can (May) I obtain hard copy photos of that rifle?
Sure, but you may have to reduce them in size from what I've posted here. Now, a couple of questions:

(1) Do you need any photos of other angles or perspectives?

(2) Do you need a better (clearer) photo of the tag? The present photo doesn't really show the characters all that well.

(3) Did you get those emailed photos I sent several months ago of the Japanese Snider, Hotchkiss, Chassepot, etc., rifles?

C/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts