Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend has offered these maps to me I would be interested in them if they are ww2. could someone pleas tell me if they are ww2 and what they are of. is picture 5 a showa date 14.12.12. dec/12/1939 ? it is at the bottom.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hi jeeplover :

Uneducated guess is that some of these are naval maps of different locations on the globe. I can identify two locations. On the first set of photos # 10 of 12 is the Suez Canal region, and photo 12 of 12 is the Coral Sea region. The first photo on the second set 1 of 12 is a map of " The Whole Nippon & Adjacent Seas ", it would be interesting to decipher on the left side upper corner there being an anchor and purple writing stamped on. The rest of the pictures on that set with red & blue curved lines would seen to indicate information needed by a ship navigator of sea or air currents in relation to a specific degree of heading.
So yes they do appear to be wartime navigation maps.
Vicasoto

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think a couple of the maps might be ww2 but the others have lots of English on them. I would think a ww2 Japanese map would be in Japanese only. I hope the are ww2 though it would make a nice back drop in a frame.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Keith :

Many of the maps used initially during the war in the Pacific were old publications from research done during the age of sail by sea fairing nations such as England, Holland, France, the USA. That was why the USN had so much trouble in the Gilberts, Solomons, New Guinea, Admiralties campaigns; all that was available were old charts from the 19th century. So new maps were a rehash of old charts and newly acquired information, that is why you see western and Japanese writing on these updated maps. Also the Japanese navy was formed around the example and traditions of the British navy and equipment, so proficiency in the english language and customs was required at the academy of Eta Jima. This also is why the Imperial army had such low opinion of the Japanese navy, as it was too " westernized " for their taste.
Vicasoto

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you for that information I did not know that. I was watching a documentary that had said that the Japanese were pulling maps out of magazines and school books. I hope edokko or steve can shed some light on the topic.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,133 Posts
They are maritime navigational maps of Taiwan to Hainan, Northern Indian Ocean etc and a set of maps for aeronautical weather tendencies. Mostly pre-war I think. Very cool, you should get 'em.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you very much edokko. I think I will get them I just wanted confirmation they were at least in the era and not post war. :)

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No worries, definitely not post war. What dates I can see are between 1938 to 1943, most printed by the IJN waterways dept.
very cool if I get them I will frame them. then I will need to get a navy uniform to go with them. thank you very much edokko. if I could only get 2 what 2 would you suggest I pick? I will try for them all but my friend might want some for himself.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a wwi tortoise shell paint American helmet that is in very good condition I think I am going to trade it for all six maps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts