Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
6,215 Posts
Great example. It's an ownership registration mark dated Meiji 3 in Nagasaki under reg #192. A great amount of Lefaucheuxs were imported into Japan in late Edo and you'll get a kick out of old photos of samurais brandishing one of these.
Pretty early year for prefectural registration markings. Very cool.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,215 Posts
George, you're probably right. I thought those two verticle marks were just heavy scratch marks but is most likely a lousily done 廿 as come to think of it they should not have been registering private guns yet back in Meiji 3. I thought it was kinda early. Thank you for your correction.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
995 Posts
Great piece, first I have seen with a Japanese history. How about some pictures from these other examples being talked about for a comparison??
The top one in this photo has a Japanese inventory tag, but no Japanese markings, the middle one has faint Japanese markings on the back strap, the lower one has the Nagasaki registration markings mentioned in my post above.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Neat-O dudes! I've learned to look carefully at ALL old revolvers. Even Iver Johnson's, and Hopkins and Allen's can have Japanese markings. No luck so far. It always amazes me, with Japanese marked weapons. You take a Henry rifle, with Japanese registration markings, and it nearly doubles in value. Take the same rifle, and stamp John Smith Peoria Illinois 1879, and it's devalued by two thirds.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
995 Posts
The rear sight on that bottom one is unusual!
Here is a closer picture of the rear sight. The shine makes it difficult to photograph.

And here also are the registration markings. Note that the fifth kanji is 拾 not the more usual 十 (Both mean 10)
五千八百拾八番 長崎懸 number 5818 Nagasaki prefecture.

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
995 Posts
Chaineux photos as promised.

C/
That's nice Chip.

It's interesting how the style of markings can vary, even in the same prefecture/year, for example using 廿一on one gun and 二十一 on another, both meaning 21, and then leaving the date off my example. Do you have sufficient registration data yet to identify any trends in marking, or even trends in the type of guns registered in different prefectures?

(i've sent you a pm with the registration details of a Whitney percussion revolver that I saw for sale in Japan.)

·
Gold Bullet member
6,215 Posts
George, the style of marking the guns at each prefectural level was pretty much helter skelter. It just depended on who was going to mark the gun at city hall that day, and one would mark it his style another would do it differently.
Some prefectural offices used die stamps which had more consistency but then again the same prefecture would have hand engraved or die stamp markings depending on the year of registration, so hard to find any kind of tendency or consistency.
I have no definitive idea why your Nagasaki Lef was not marked with a registration year, but a theory could be that it was either marked in earlier days "before" they started adding years in order to reciprocate the registry number range, or the other way baround, meaning in much later years when gun regsitration were becoming scarce and far between and hence they just got rid of reg years and started a continous number set.
These prefectural office marked pieces were primarily civilian purchased and owned pistols and rifles that were registered at whatever domicile they happened to be at with their guns, so there is really no "gun type trends" depending on prefectures. Only gun type trend would be with the military owned pistols and rifles that were marked at the armory (i.e. Bukoshi marked etc.).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.