Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This chute was a pick up when my grandpa picked up his type 30 in the Philippines in 1944. The guy was carrying the type 30 rifle. Can any one translate it?I]A friend of mine said it says "emergency parachute for the pilot. letters next to 10476 says unit number"
Can anyone give me any more info? Did pilots carry rifles? And if so would they carry a type 30 at the end of the war?
Any Info is helpful,
Thanks
Shawn

Attachments

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i figured she meant serial number. So pilots had their own chutes? Like you had said on one of my earlier posts that paratroopers would have the latest and the greatest not an obsolete infantry rifle. So it makes since he wasn't a regular paratrooper. I wonder if any crew members would have a rifle on a transport plane.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot I appreciate your help. He says he got it from this guy who was wearing this chute. Who knows. It was complete confusion the night when he got the rifle. Two of the planes heading for the air field where not coming back. They where suppose to land and everyone was suppose to exit the plane and destroy the air field. I find it strange that they would issue a t-30 with such a low serial number. Or that the rifle would even be around anymore. unless they were really desperate. Its in such good shape though. We shot it this weekend.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i think they started shooting at each other as soon as he landed. He had the whole chute at one time but when he went through customs or what ever it was called after the war it was taken. I agree that you wouldn't run around with a chute on but if you just hit the ground and was taking fire you might not have time to remove it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.