Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This chute was a pick up when my grandpa picked up his type 30 in the Philippines in 1944. The guy was carrying the type 30 rifle. Can any one translate it?I]A friend of mine said it says "emergency parachute for the pilot. letters next to 10476 says unit number"
Can anyone give me any more info? Did pilots carry rifles? And if so would they carry a type 30 at the end of the war?
Any Info is helpful,
Thanks
Shawn

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
6,133 Posts
It reads "Pilot's parachute (操縦者用落下傘)", and the number 10476 is the serial number of the chute, not the unit number. Dated June 1943.
I don't believe pilots carried any infantry rifles in their planes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i figured she meant serial number. So pilots had their own chutes? Like you had said on one of my earlier posts that paratroopers would have the latest and the greatest not an obsolete infantry rifle. So it makes since he wasn't a regular paratrooper. I wonder if any crew members would have a rifle on a transport plane.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,133 Posts
The paratroopers would be carrying paratroop rifles and take down LMGs if any, worst case a non-takedown T-99 rifle especially after 1943, and would doubt very much they would be stuck with an old obsolete T-30 rifle, especially for a pilot, which this chute is for.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot I appreciate your help. He says he got it from this guy who was wearing this chute. Who knows. It was complete confusion the night when he got the rifle. Two of the planes heading for the air field where not coming back. They where suppose to land and everyone was suppose to exit the plane and destroy the air field. I find it strange that they would issue a t-30 with such a low serial number. Or that the rifle would even be around anymore. unless they were really desperate. Its in such good shape though. We shot it this weekend.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,133 Posts
In any case a bring back piece with personal relative's provenence is ALWAYS a great thing to have and take care of as family history. What was the serial number on that T-3o ?

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
No offense to gramps, but stories get confused.

Nobody is going to run about in a parachute harness.
Cumbersome and uncomfortable to say the least.
Rigs are unassed immediately upon landing.

Maybe he had the canopy material saved or salvaged for some reason.

You did not mention if it still has suspension lines, risers, pack tray, cover, harness or any other stuff that comes with a parachute.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i think they started shooting at each other as soon as he landed. He had the whole chute at one time but when he went through customs or what ever it was called after the war it was taken. I agree that you wouldn't run around with a chute on but if you just hit the ground and was taking fire you might not have time to remove it.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,925 Posts
Thanks a lot I appreciate your help. He says he got it from this guy who was wearing this chute. Who knows. It was complete confusion the night when he got the rifle. Two of the planes heading for the air field where not coming back. They where suppose to land and everyone was suppose to exit the plane and destroy the air field. I find it strange that they would issue a t-30 with such a low serial number. Or that the rifle would even be around anymore. unless they were really desperate. Its in such good shape though. We shot it this weekend.
it sounds like a true operation I read from a pacific war book... it was one of the suicide squads sent in multiple planes to land in the phillipines on an american recently captured airfield, they were supposed to land and destroy american airplanes, cause havoc, until they were killed.

its possible the pilot hopped out and was shot immediately, hence no time to take off the chute? i imagine they would give a rifle to the pilot in this situation.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Some of the Montagnards we had wore "bata" boots, some still went barefoot, and a few actually wore flip flops on operation.

Thanks for waking that one up.

Spose the guy could have been pilot or crew from one of those suicide planes.
They might have been armed with whatever they could scrounge at the last minute.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,409 Posts
Call me crazy but I have my reservations regarding the pilots on what was considered a suicide mission, having parachutes. Not on account of it it being suicide, I think kamikaze pilots often had parachutes but dont know for sure. But seriously what is the pilot going to do if the plane is hit...walk past all the chute-less passengers on his way to bail out. Now you can call me a pessimist, i just think this was a greatly elaborated story created to generate excitement for the folks back home about some random equipment. Telling them he found these things in a pile somewhere, or a warehouse or traded for booze or won in a card game doesnt have the same heroic overtone. people tell crazy stories then as they do today. My grandfather told some real whoppers. Believeable and amazing when youre young and/or naieve about the military or history. But quite rediculous when viewed from a different standpoint.

·
Silver Bullet member
51 Posts
Pilots are worth a lot more than infantry soldiers, from any branch. Kamakaze pilots wore parachutes and life vests on a lot of thier flights. They were told to come back if they could, to fight another day! Also some of the aircraft seats were designed to have chutes worn while flying, and parachutes are part of the aircraft's equipment.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
I think Mike Rockhill has it right.
I've spent a lifetime harassing vets about their experiences.
Many are willing to talk to another vet, but the stories get twisted. Some are flat made up. Sometimes just for fun.
I got out in '70 and get my own stuff confused at times.

Again, is this only the canopy or all the associated gear?

Clearly, this will go in circles from now on.

I have a hometown friend, 517th Airborne, did the whole European tour-wounded, real tough old bird and stand up guy.
He likes me because of our airborne and combat connection.

He always mentions how formidable "Tiger Royals" were.
He did mention he never saw one in person.

I'm going o the annual SF convention this week-taking my hip waders.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts