Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
Appears to be a very nice Tanto. More correctly, an Aikuchi. Complete with kozuka, and kogai. I've never seen a kogai divided like that. Chopsticks? That one needs feedback from some one more learned than me. If real, it's worth big bucks.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,134 Posts
You see that round piece on the handle ? That should be the head attached to a pin that goes through the handle and holds the blade in place. See if you can carefully pry it out without scratching or breaking it. If it looks like you have to force it too much, stop and just leave it as it is, as you do not want to berak anything on it.

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
If the round piece is the same on both side. It's possibly a barrel nut. Not likely, but possible.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm guessing the cutting edge is over 30cm, which makes it a wakizashi, not a tanto.
From the shape, it looks to be shobu-zukuri which is the style of the blade. In taking off the tsuka (handle),I would hope to see a shortened nagamaki (polearm) as that would explain the shape. If made originally that way, usually they are not the best quality blades. The 2 discs should easily remove, leaving the handle free to be removed. But don't force anything too much.
The mounts are Meiji period export-type mounts..a bit flashy. The split kogai is called a wari-kogai, not uncommon.
All in all, a nice package.

Chaos

·
Silver Bullet member
600 Posts
The round buttons you see are not like the retaining peg you see on most swords. The buttons/disc should be screws. One side is a stem with female tube, the other is a male threaded screw. Unscrew the male threaded half maybe a quarter of a inch out. Then push that side back towards the handle popping/pushing the female half out. After that completely unscrew the male end out and pull out the female tube. You should then be able to lightly tap off the handle once the retaining screws are removed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts