Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked ot a man at the AGCA show this PM that has a vet bringback K98k from Japan in "like new" condition. He said the only difference between it and a regular K98k is that it has the "Mauser Banner" stamped in the stock, Law says a "business stamp". Would have bought it but he wanted $65 and I offered him $50. (Yeah, right, couldn't pry him loose.)

·
Silver Bullet member
15,635 Posts
Good decision, those K98s with the mauser banner are all fakes. Especially if they were captured in the pacific area.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will check with him this AM and see exactly where the mark is stamped. Think he said the bottom of the stock? AGCA show sucked, so far as usual, did pick up a Nagoya long with mum and wings. and a $20 fuse made in 41 for some large cal. shell. "A fool and his money are soon parted."

·
Registered
486 Posts
On a similar note, very rarely a true WW2 K98k (or Luger or some such) did come out of the Pacific by a returning vet, but only because he got it from a sailor whose ship got transferred to the Pacific theater after being in Europe. Some of these souvineers travelled the world.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,635 Posts
Just jerking the old man's chain! Just like he did us with the $65 price.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Once again, Japan purchased 20,000 K98ks, S/42, 1937 and 1938. Reference, Richard D Law and Walter Schmid Dipl-Ing. (FH) (?) Copyright 1992, copies were self-published, printed at KINKO'S, 601 Terry Parkway, Suite A, Gretna, LA 70056.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
OK. So show me one, just one that was 110% Japanese used. I'll even settle for an unconfirmed sighting of one.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have mentioned this before on the board, not sure if there has ever been any other confirmation before about German rifle sightings. My father belonged to a demolition squad. 2nd. Marine Div., during the occupation and traveled around Japan destroying munitions in every town they went to. He said he saw a bunch of German rifles in storage. Will ask on Monday if he remembers destroying them. Here are some photos of his squad and a couple planes they destroyed. My father is 4th. from left on top row.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
any chance the book about the Japanese contract K98's listed the serial group/ranges? I mean, without some way to tell otherwise, any 1937-38 S/42 might be one,or not be one.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The book is a page or two introduction followed by the original German specifications for the Japanese K98k and an English translation. Law notes that the specifications call for the K98ks for Japan be pulled "at random" from the assembly line to insure the Japanese were getting the same quality rifles as the German troops. Nothing like trust between "friends."
A long shot, but you might go to Google and search for THE JAPANESE K98k.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

Richard Russell, Please pm or email me. I want to ask some questions about the plane with tricycle landing gear in this photo. Thanks
Ray

1 - 12 of 12 Posts