Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Japanese helmet was found in front of Col. Nakagawa's last command post cave by the American Intelligence officer who discovered it. It is still there today (as of 2004) although very rusted now.

Does anybody know what the dark strip around the helmet symbolize?

Thanks in advance, Eric

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
The stripe you refer to is likely a touch up stripe. The helmet shells were stacked prior to final assembly. Many had paint losses, scuffs etc from stacking. As final assembly of liner, chinstraps & star a touch up a stripe was painted around middle of helmet to cover stacking damages. Some people call this a camo stripe as the color is rarely a close match & is often a contrasting shade of green. Hard to narrow down when touch up stripes occured as it's not found on all Japanese helmets.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stripe you refer to is likely a touch up stripe. The helmet shells were stacked prior to final assembly. Many had paint losses, scuffs etc from stacking. As final assembly of liner, chinstraps & star a touch up a stripe was painted around middle of helmet to cover stacking damages. Some people call this a camo stripe as the color is rarely a close match & is often a contrasting shade of green. Hard to narrow down when touch up stripes occured as it's not found on all Japanese helmets.
Thanks Jareth, but that line looks too symmetrical. I know what you're saying but often heard that Japanese Officer's had a stripe around their helmet.

-Eric

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's true Eric. I have one with a white stripe painted around middle. See photo link from my headgear post. The one in your photo looks like a dark stripe. Here's my officer's white stripe http://forums.gunboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10464&d=1191887071 Who can be certain your posted helmet belonged to an officer or was from an enlistedmen? Nasty concussion crack to front!
Jareth,

I really appreciate your post and comments. I assume the pic is an officer's helmet just from the fact that a possible stripe is painted around it and that it was found in Col. Nakagawa's last command cave. I have a treasured POW interrogation report (original) from a captured Sgt-Maj. who survived the battle (part of Col. Nakagawa's staff) and reported only officer's in the command cave during the final day of the battle.

Interesting. Eric

1 - 5 of 5 Posts