Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again everyone. Here's some closer images of my new Japanese canteen that I picked up last weekend. After enjoying it for a week and working hard at work I finally got to sit down and look this thing over. It had a recent repair done to the left side of the canvas holder within the past five years and is being held together by a shoe string (not my idea possibly the seller's or even the guy he bought it from). At first the only marking that I found was this 41st scratched onto the front of the canteen. It doesn't look like it was done yesterday or even recently as there are old scratches on it that are in the same shape so I believe that to be vintage (possibly the unit of the American who captured it). Also while looking over the metal part of the canteen at the bottom I found these stampings on it. Would these be like a manufacture marking and a possible date of manufacture? While looking across the shoulder strap I also stumbled onto this faded marking that looks like kanji in a box and another character next to it. Would these also have been manufacture marks as well? Any help from the experts would be very appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow so this is an early war canteen then. That's so cool! Thank you Suwashintou for the info:). I still have no idea on the 41st on the canteen. I still want to believe it was the unit of whoever captured this but without hard evidence it's just a thought.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Can yanyone help me out. These are two pics from the bottom of my japanese canteen. I am not sure if they are right side up, bottom side down, or should be vertical. I am just interested in any information you can furnish me about the meaning/manufacturer. Thank you very much for taking the time to read this. -Soldat

Attachments

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Your Canteen is the early style with leather strap and steel buckles........these would be done away with by mid war for a more simplified version.

The front of your canteen strap has a piece of cloth stitched to it and bears the owners (first or last) name on it.

The bottom center marking "might" be the NAGOYA arsenal mark. The rest of it is unreadable kanji.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Japanese canteen markings

Your Canteen is the early style with leather strap and steel buckles........these would be done away with by mid war for a more simplified version.

The front of your canteen strap has a piece of cloth stitched to it and bears the owners (first or last) name on it.

The bottom center marking "might" be the NAGOYA arsenal mark. The rest of it is unreadable kanji.
Thanks panzerfaust. It didn't dawn on me that it might be NAGOYA, although it may still be another since it doesn't exactly match. But, if it is, it will go nicely with my Nagoya M38 Carbine, and Substitute Standard (Last Ditch) 99. Thanks for taking the time to help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.