Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this Cannon is a small city park in Wamego, Kansas. I don’t know too much about Japanese Cannon but I thought that you guys might like to see some photos.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Good job finding and photographing it. Looks pretty decent shape, even though sh**head kids felt the need to vandalize it somewhat. It looks like it has a school/training stamp on it. Anyone else think that is the case?

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,175 Posts
I think what you see is part of a Taisho date. It looks like it has both Taisho & Showa dates on it. It appears to be a Type 38 75mm field gun. My book shows these were "improved". That may account for the two dates.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Holy Smokes! That's a genuine, bonafide, and pristine Japanese Type 38 (1905) 75mm field gun! A very rare specimen to be found in Kansas of all places! Although the Japanese improved on this old battle cannon, it was superseded by the more modern Type 95 that I photographed in Salt Lake City last month (see old post). Nonetheless, this weapon was used to great effect in China and a few Pacific battles such as Guadalcanal and Saipan. Wow, great shots, thanks for posting. What part of Kansas was this fine piece found? Too bad about the grafitti!

-Eric

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is one more photo. I know that this cannon has been sitting at this park for at least 20 years. I don't know if anyone in town even knows where it came from. I would be willing to bet that the city council might be willing to part with it or exchange it for a different cannon or playground equipment. I am not sure about that but it would be worth a try if some one really wanted it to restore.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
It's funny what turns up!
Many years ago, a military vehicle collector was telling me of getting a lead to two turret-less Japanese tanks in Oregon. Never heard if he found them.
Also, the old Ponderosa Ranch from Bonanza fame had a Type 94 AT cannon that they kept around for visitors to look at. I've always wondered what happened to it, as the ranch was auctioned off to the public some years ago.
At a couple VFWs in the Bay Area, there is an old French 75 and an even older Krupp on display. I wish I could take them home :(

·
Registered
949 Posts
It's funny what turns up!
Many years ago, a military vehicle collector was telling me of getting a lead to two turret-less Japanese tanks in Oregon. Never heard if he found them.
Also, the old Ponderosa Ranch from Bonanza fame had a Type 94 AT cannon that they kept around for visitors to look at. I've always wondered what happened to it, as the ranch was auctioned off to the public some years ago.
At a couple VFWs in the Bay Area, there is an old French 75 and an even older Krupp on display. I wish I could take them home :(
Where are these located in the Bay Area? I am from there and never heard of them!

Thanks, eric

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
The 75 is in Pacifica. I could go and take a pic if you wish. The Krupp is in the North East Bay in an unsavory location. I'll have to check about the location.
Also, I'm sure you saw the pics that A-Dogs posted from San Luis Obispo?

·
Silver Bullet member
33,921 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but the war memorial in Indian head MD where I grew up had two Japanese guns flanking either side. I was told as a kid they were submarine deck guns that had been sent to the Naval Odnance Station Indian Head for testing.

The good news is that they are well-preserved by many layers of paint, the bad news is that the many layers of paint now hide the data plates. I also remember them being pretty much welded up solid and concrete in the barrels. Should I try to get some pictures?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but the war memorial in Indian head MD where I grew up had two Japanese guns flanking either side. I was told as a kid they were submarine deck guns that had been sent to the Naval Odnance Station Indian Head for testing.

The good news is that they are well-preserved by many layers of paint, the bad news is that the many layers of paint now hide the data plates. I also remember them being pretty much welded up solid and concrete in the barrels. Should I try to get some pictures?
What are you kidding! Absoluetely, post some pics!

Thanks, Eric

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
2,323 Posts
The 75 is in Pacifica. I could go and take a pic if you wish. The Krupp is in the North East Bay in an unsavory location. I'll have to check about the location.
Also, I'm sure you saw the pics that A-Dogs posted from San Luis Obispo?
There are Japanese pieces in front of the Vets building in San Luis Obispo on the corner of Mill and Grand Street (I live about 3 blocks away) and at the National Guard Camp a little ways out Highway 1.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
The tag on the Kansas cannon has markings of Showa 15 (1940) and Osaka Kosho (Osaka Arsenal) underneath.
Wouldn't it be great to collect all these yard decorations into one location and display in a museum. Need to check if Bill Gates have some extra cash laying around.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,175 Posts
Wouldn't it be great to collect all these yard decorations into one location and display in a museum. Need to check if Bill Gates have some extra cash laying around.
I've been thinking the same thing since all these recent posts on these guns. It would really be nice to get them all indoors with some serious restoration & preservation lavished upon them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's funny what turns up. A couple years ago a co-worker stopped me and said he heard I was interested in old Japanese rifle. Said he had one that his dad had brought back from the war, his dad was gone hand his mom wanted it out of the house. I asked him to describe the rifle had he said it was about 25 caliber, had a folding bipod on front and a curved magazine on top.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
A-Dogs, If I had the funding, I definately would! Out on Treasure Island is an old destroyer turret parked next to one of the old China Clipper hangers. Always thought it would be a great location for a Pacific War museuem, except that it's practicaly at ground zero for liberal insanity.
How does one go about starting a museum? I wonder if that 'crazy' tank owner would fund us?

·
Registered
486 Posts
It's funny what turns up. A couple years ago a co-worker stopped me and said he heard I was interested in old Japanese rifle. Said he had one that his dad had brought back from the war, his dad was gone hand his mom wanted it out of the house. I asked him to describe the rifle had he said it was about 25 caliber, had a folding bipod on front and a curved magazine on top.
Cool! Sounds like a Type 96 light machine gun. Most likely a deactivated one that was brought back by a vet, but never can tell.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts