Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like some help identifying this box I bought. Any help would be appreciated. The top is canvas over wood and appears to have some burns on it. Again, thanks for your help.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,303 Posts
Edokko can clear this up for sure but it looks like it's an Ammunition Chest. Probably for the Type 97 75mm HE rounds.
What's the interior look like?
Nice find! :)

·
Gold Bullet member
6,215 Posts
The chest is definitely for artillery ammunition, but the designation mark is enigmatic. The top row says 九七自砲 (Kyu Nana Ji-ho) and would mean Type 97 self propelled artillery, but can't find any reference on such nomenclature. Many self propelled artillery were based on Type 97 tank bodies but were usually assigned a specific nomenclature. Mysterious....

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The inside appears to have some inserts or dividers removed. The box is stenciled on both ends with what appears to me to be the same stencil. Thank you very much for your replies. I have more photos available if you would like to look at them. Again, thanks.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,303 Posts
The inside appears to have some inserts or dividers removed. The box is stenciled on both ends with what appears to me to be the same stencil. Thank you very much for your replies. I have more photos available if you would like to look at them. Again, thanks.
Sure! Let's see em :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's a couple of extra pictures. One is of the opposite end which appears to have the same characters as the one posted previously. There is also a shot of some inspector's stamp inside the lid and one shot of the sling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.