Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,409 Posts
Hmmm Im pretty sure restoration of japanese militaria, even simple paint stripping, certainly is welcome here...on the japanese board, call me crazy.

I would try to find the solvent for the particular paint used. It might possibly spare any original finish on the grips.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,651 Posts
Right Mike, but he put it on the trader forum first; now it is moved here.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you have not done anything yet, I'd take a shot using mineral spirits and fine bronze wool. Neither will harm the wood, although I'm not sure about the shellac or lacquer finish, if any.
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Regardless of bubba's fine paint job (what was he thinking...) it looks line a great find. Congrats.
I don't know what Bubba was thinking either; but rarely does somebody sell a god Jinsen bayonet for much less than $150 any more.

I found two more Japanese bayonets on eBay the other day. One is a Howa (converted to a fighting knife) and the other possibly a Kokura. $35 for both of them. No scabbards and no grips either. IMA has British 1907 grips that look like they can be fitted to a Japanese bayonet and the holes are pretty close too. Less than $10 per set with the screws and nuts! If not, I'll just use them on the right bayonet projects.

Somebody in Poland is cranking out repro grips for all kinds of bayonets these days...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.