Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two Dai Nippon 20mm cannon rounds, complete with their cardboard tubes. I was led to believe these were deactivated.
The longer one is 8.25" tall and 1.25" wide at the case head. The projectile is painted black and sports a flat nosed brass tip with perhaps a percussion cap in the nose. The body of the projectile has, counting from the top, a red band, a green band and a yellow band.
The shorter one is 7.75" tall and 1" wide at the case head. Projectile is pointed, painted black and has, from the top, a green band and a white band.

Here's the fun part: They have both started oozing a viscous clear liquid.
The big one leaks from around the percussion cap in the nose and through a punch mark, one of two, that staked what seems to be a circular plug in the brass nose.
The smaller one leaks aroun the neck of the case coming out past the projectile.

This liquid, when carefully sucked up with a bit of paper, does not increase the burn rate of that paper when it is ignited (in a different room than that occupied by the cannon shells) so it would seem not to be nitroglycerin.

Anybody got any ideas?
Before I bury them nice and deep?
-----krinko

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Sweating ordnance, is never a good thing. Some late war stuff, used picric acid as an explosive. I think it sweats green. Also, by losing moisture it becomes unstable, like nitroglycerin. Don, where are you? We need a chemist here.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,303 Posts
I gave Ken Elks book a quick looksie. If these are T-98 rounds the flat tipped round used RDX and if the pointy one is AP, there is no explosive in it.
Photos would help.
The prima cord we used in the oilfield was RDX and I never saw any liquid coming out of it. It was a white powder like substance.
Sounds like oil seeping out to me??

·
Gold Bullet member
6,209 Posts
What does the iquid smell like ? Also does the projectile look like they have ever been pulled off of the cartridge shell ? The projos should usually come out fairly easily with a good pull if the powder has been dumped once.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.