Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the short-lived last incarnation of the "old boards", someone mentioned in passing that he'd seen a number of 1866 Chassepot rifles that had been converted to Murata configuration by the Japanese. I asked him where he'd seen these as I only know of two in existence. The boards then changed to their newest version and all of the prior posts were apparently lost.

Below are some photos of the one in my collection. Can anyone else supply any information, general or otherwise, on these interesting conversions?

C/

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Can't help you but thats a neat looking rifle .
The manurator probally knows some about them .
mcgoo

A Japanese publication from 1922 (in English) discusses these conversions, but only in passing. The conversions were performed at the Tokyo Artillery Arsenal which had a conversion capacity of about 7,000 rifles per year.

The example in the photos was taken from a Japanese museum at the war's end. The kanji on the wooden tag reads "Modified Murata Gun - Reference Weapon."

C/

·
Registered
286 Posts
I believe that I might be the person making reference to Japanese Chassepots
I have seen a couple of them, one in a gun show the second one in Glendale in an antique/curio gun store. !8 month to two years ago. I do not remember the name of the shop but it is on the main drag of the city of Glendale, could be glendale boulevard? I have known the owner for many year, but I only remember his first name ,Paul,
Since he knows that I collect French weapons, he went in the back of the store, and with some other rare objects brought back the Chassepot, he got it from a long time collector who got it originally in the 1950, the rifle was in extremely good condition, I remember vividly the chrysantemum on top of the barrel, the receiver was marked with the typical French markings manufacturer and mle 1866 few Japanese characters which meanig escaped me, not being fluent in Japanese...
I believe that unlike original Chassepot the rifle was blued.
The rifle was not for sale and Paul had already a client for it or was going to keep it for his collection.
The other one a couple of year earlier at a gun show in virtually the same condition.
Best regards
Robert Olivier

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe that I might be the person making reference to Japanese Chassepots
I have seen a couple of them, one in a gun show the second one in Glendale in an antique/curio gun store. I have known the owner for many year, but I only remember his first name ,Paul. Since he knows that I collect French weapons, he went in the back of the store, and with some other rare objects brought back the Chassepot, he got it from a long time collector who got it originally in the 1950, the rifle was in extremely good condition, I remember vividly the chrysantemum on top of the barrel, the receiver was marked with the typical French markings manufacturer and mle 1866 few Japanese characters which meanig escaped me, not being fluent in Japanese... I believe that unlike original Chassepot the rifle was blued. The rifle was not for sale and Paul had already a client for it or was going to keep it for his collection. The other one a couple of year earlier at a gun show in virtually the same condition.
Best regards
Robert Olivier
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply. I believe you are the person who answered my old post; I just couldn't recall your nic.

Yes, I know the fellow in Glendale to whom you referred. His name is Paul Milbury. He's a long-time Japanese militaria collector. I didn't know he had a Chassepot conversion. Looks like I may have to drop him a line and get additional information.

Thanks again for your kind reply!

C/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts