Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this 6.5 carbine, bayonet and officer's sword at the estate sale of a WW2 vet whose service also included time in the occupation forces of Japan. The mum is ground off on the rifle so I imagine he picked it up after war's end. Probably the bayonet and sword also but I don't know how to tell about those.

The sale advertised a Japanese sword, which was one of the NCO swords with screwed on wooden grips. The day of the sale as they were moving the bed outside, they found 2 more swords under the mattress, both officer's swords.

Those sales can be gold mines.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Nice finds!!!

I'm going to have to start hitting up the estate sales around here...

·
Silver Bullet member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I put about 15 rounds through it, Josh. It had been the vet's deer rifle, he had painted the front sight white and drifted it in it's dovetail to zero it. I wasn't expecting great things from it, accuracy-wise, and got a pleasant surprise. I was able to keep the group in 2 1/2 inches at 100 yards with my old eyes and those less than user friendly sights. Also, it was right on at 100, both windage and elevation. I really don't plan on shooting it much, may not ever shoot it again, but it's nice to know what it will do.

The bore on it is pristine. Does anyone know if these bores were chromed?

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hello Steve:
Does the rear sight have an aperture ( peep ) or is it a " V " open notch ?. If I remember correctly 6th series Mukden Arsenal carbines were the first to use the new peep rear sight assembly. If so that is a much easier sight to use than the older open vee.
Either one iron sights are closer to the front sight blade on a carbine than a rifle at that makes it harder to see for me now that I am a senior citizen, peep sights help a lot.
As far as I know the Japanese began testing with chrome bolt faces during the Type 97 production, and there are scattered reports of a chrome barrel in late T-38s, initial use of chromed barrels started with the T-99 rifles.
Vicasoto

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I put about 15 rounds through it, Josh. It had been the vet's deer rifle, he had painted the front sight white and drifted it in it's dovetail to zero it. I wasn't expecting great things from it, accuracy-wise, and got a pleasant surprise. I was able to keep the group in 2 1/2 inches at 100 yards with my old eyes and those less than user friendly sights. Also, it was right on at 100, both windage and elevation. I really don't plan on shooting it much, may not ever shoot it again, but it's nice to know what it will do.

The bore on it is pristine. Does anyone know if these bores were chromed?
Good thing the vet didnt bubba it, which was what happened to alot of these rifles. My Great Grandfathers deer rifle was a mauser he got from a German he killed.

·
Silver Bullet member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vicasoto, it doesn't have the aperture type sights. Wish it did. I shoot peeps almost as good as I ever did but I sure can't say the same about open sights.

Josh, the vet did that front sight and stopped, thank goodness. It looks sort of bad off to the side like it is, but it hits where it's looking so I guess that's why they were made to have an adjustment range, huh?

I hadn't thought of this earlier, but I know with the Mausers, there are probably more out there with mis-matched bolts to receivers than the other way around. Does the same hold with the Arisakas? This rifle does have a matching bolt. If only it had a mum!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts