Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After seeing Jimmy's 24, I had to post this one for you guys. Condition isn't anywhere near that, but a rare one. Condition is 100% matching & untouched. Sorry about the pic quality, I got frustrated & gave up!!!!

·
Gold Bullet member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vaarok, I wish I had a great story for you, but not with this one. The guy who had it didn't know what it was and sold it for the same price of a M/M Import 24!!!!!!! The pics really do not do it any justice. Once I figure out my wifes camera & how to resize pics, I'll try and take a good one

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Hi Bart,
Looks like a great Vz.24! Congratulations on the find. My guess, and its's only a guess, is the this rifle was brought back from Japan or the Philippines. The Japanese Navy bought 40,000 (maybe 50,000?) from Ceskoslovanska Zbrojovka Brno in 1938. The deal however was concluded under the Third Reich since Germany occupied Bohemia and Moravia in 1939. Both China and Japan bought Vz.24's from CZ in the P- and C- series, with receiver crest-dates of "1937", with China acquiring a number well over 150,000. There are many documented rifles in the P-series which have been imported from China and Europe since 1989. However, the proponderence of rifles in NRA VG-Excellent condition are those sent back by GI's from Japan itself. The known serial number range for the P-series VZ.24 extends from low numbers with three digits to rifles in the 99,000 range.

I believe that the rifles dated "1937" were especially designated for export.
Regards,
John

·
Registered
603 Posts
I once worked many, many, many, years ago with a WWII Vet that served in the Pacific. When he landed on one of the Pacific Islands he was astonished to find an entire warehouse full of these rifles. He naturally picked on out for himself and brought home a brand new one.

I first talked to him in 1966 about this rifle and back then I new about absolutely nothing about military rifles. Even back then I too was astonished the Japanese were using 98 Mauser rifles made by the Czech’s.

The WWII Vet, was a hunter and naturally back in those days there was a mad rush to sportsitize every rare and valuable military rifle out there. I hade even seen rare sniper rifles cut up into useless junk deer rifles back then. He Bubba’d it and much later in time I lost contact with him. I never did lay actual eyes on the rifle so I cannot to this day know for sure how butchered up it was. I cannot remember if he had a scope put on it or not so it may have been possible to restore it but he is long since dead.

·
Gold Bullet member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info John. I really appreciate it. I had seen the pictures of your Japanese VZ 24 sling on the net & have been OBSESSED with getting one ever since. I wish I could of got one with a sling, but this will have to do!!! Thanks Again

http://www.rollanet.org/~stacyw/czech_vz24_sling_jap_marked.htm

BPH, I wouldn't doubt that story one bit. The ones I've seen that came back from the islands all look identical in condition. The bluing is always in great condition and the stocks have nothing more than storage marks!!! Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it!!

·
Banned
7 Posts
Jap VZ-24 action ?

I just recieved some items I bought a few weeks ago, one being a mauser police carbine from Morocco and the other a VZ-24 action. I needed this action to put together a rifle from parts I had.When my dealer and I opened the package, and when he spotted the P series serial number on the VZ-24 he did'nt want to give it back. He being a big collector of all things Japanese. How is a person to tell if he has a japanese or chinese rifle. My action has the 1937 date on the ring and of course the P prefix and five numerals in the serial number.I planned on putting this on a romanian barrel and stock set that I have. The bolt on the action has no serial number. Thanks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I recently obtained a vet bring-back from his estate. It's a 1937 marked action with a receiver and stock (matching) C series in the 58K range. The bolt is mismatched with a P series version. The sling is proper and has the white Kanji letters. So I don't know if this went direct to Japan or to China first and captured by the Japanese. But it's in pretty good condition with a very nice bore so I'm happy with it.

I have two Vz24's; this one and a Persian. When issued from the factory did these have the front sight protectors on them?

·
3,472 Posts
The Persian 98/29 has a built-in site protector. The normal VZ.24 removeable protector will not/should not fit on the 98/29.

Accesories like sight protectors, bayonets, scabbards, frogs and slings were normal options the a buyer could purchase...or not. That being said, there are, to my knowledge, no surviving order documents for VZ.24's which show these options offered, one way or the other.
Regards,
John

·
Silver Bullet member
2,326 Posts
Does that mean any VZ 24 with a P or C prefixed serial number and a 1937 on the receiver went to Japan? I see these all the time. I didn't know what they were for? I figured some other country scrubbed the lion off the receiver and restamped the date when they got them!!
BARQS19

·
3,472 Posts
No. Most went to Japan and China, although a very few stayed in Europe. Only individual painted markings on the rifle or sling, or an ATF import stamp, or a signed US Army PTO export letter can provide a reasonably valid indication of the nation who purchased the rifle orginally.
Regards,
John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.