Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on an archery elk hunting trip, I picked up a couple rifles in a small gunshop. This is a cut down Jap T38 rifle, re-chambered to 7.62x39. The rifle has whats left of a Chinese brand on the stock. The #96 is stamped on most parts. The barrel is floated with metal hangers under the rear band and behind the nosecap. Can anyone give me some info on this rifle?

·
Diamond Member
5,738 Posts
bullseye, I know some t-38 were converted into police carbines in this caliber in Indonesea? or Phillipines? The guys on the Japanese Forum will know. Cool rifle.Denny

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
Looks like a T38 Long rifle that was cut down to carbine size. The Chinese converted alot of these to the AK round as Josh pointed out and then, in the late 80's, sold them to us. There doesn't seem to be a standardized method of conversion and was probably carried out at various local armories.
Please be sure to check out all parts of the rifle before shooting it. The Chinese sold some deactivated (parade rifles?) Arisakas that have a torch hole cut in the reciever near the barrel JUST BELOW THE STOCK! It is not a noticible demil and I have seen one KaBoom on firing just this year and heard of another such rifle that had been bought. Luckily no major injuries occured with the kb, but it could have been a lot worse.

·
Silver Bullet member
798 Posts
Bullseye,I've got one also.It doesn't have the wooden block in the magazine and is missind the handguard.It does however have a full mum.I've been trying to find a T38 handguard that is damaged on the front end to make one for mine.I've seen good handguards,but,don't have the heart to cut a good one down.

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,878 Posts
i have one also, the parts on it were re-stamped with the number 37 to match them. mine doesn't have the wood block in the magazine, the follower is notched on either side and rails were installed vertically in the mag box to keep the shells from moving. haven't had time to shoot mine yet, need more time at home i guess.

y'all have a good day! Keith

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
There has been at least one shortened T38 in 7.62x39 stuck in an M1 Carbine stock posted here in the past. Seems they did all sorts of things! Bullseye, I think I would have said that shop was near where I hunt Nile crocodiles!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This one has a hard plastic block in the magazine. I was wondering if the 96 was a new ser. #. What is the value of one of these rifles?

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,878 Posts
i picked mine up at a gunshow that was well populated with banzai members for 160 bucks. either all of them already had one, the price wasn't that great, or they missed it. really doubt they missed it, as it was on a table directly in front of a huge type 44 arisaka display, too.
one of them told me that the numbers were from the place it was modified at, as some of them were done really well and some looked like they were done in someone's garage. Can't say for sure, i just know that all the small parts had the same number that was stamped onto the barrel shank.

y'all have a good day, Keith

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Bullseye, Go the japanese forum and ask 03man he will tell you everything about that rifle and its conversion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts