Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was on a table rack among a jumble of common stuff. $150 OTD. Thought I'd fall over.
The bolt is early with Kokura "se" inspection marks all over but the bolt itself is matching, strange.... firing pin and extractor is un-numbered, and the safety knob is a mistatch. But nice clean mum, which I thought was unusual for such a late made rifle, and probably taken from some arsenal warehouse.
Any thoughts on the bolt ? It almost looks like it is a chance match up, but then again Juki was also built under Kokura supervision before Nagoya, so use of older parts from the parts bin ? Any ideas would be appreciated.

I'll post other stuff later.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Dude, $150??? Great find! As for the bolt I would be inclined to think that maybe a box was found in the back room and they just fed them into the production line. A fine rifle like that needs to be in Texas! Don't want Queen Nancy and her cronies mutilating that one.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,572 Posts
You must be living right! Nice find.

I would think the bolt typical of one stripped of its guts to make it safe, then replaced with the "wrong" pieces. I have several rifles that suffer from this common ailment. Maybe happened in service transport, or years later stateside.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hello Edokko :
Great going on that rope hole 27th. back in ' 88 I purchased # 40351 for under 90.00 shipping included from a fellow Banzai member at the old Great Western. Considering today's inflation ypur price was a similar stroke of luck. They don't get much better than that. The seller mentioned that the rope sling on it was a replacement as the original was falling appart, he found manila rope of similar size and weaved the ends just like the original, mine is mum and matching.
Vicasoto

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Takehito,
Thats nice, I didn't know that 27th series had no dust cover grooves in the late 30k range.
Way to go for 150 thats like hitting the lottery.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks gents, and yes it was a stroke of immense luck.
The JAG was a show full of action for me. I also found an excellent stock, nice metal, ground but matching T-K long in th 20K serial # range for $225.
Another item. As Jareth mentioned, this is a pouch and tool rig for the Type 2 grenade launcher. The tool is marked with the Chigusa "chi" inspection mark and the pouch is as cheapo canvas made as they can be, but the rig sure was not cheap....

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
You bought WHAT!? I thought you told me that you weren't into Type 99s anymore! Or for that matter, had any room left! Sounds like a good find!

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Okedokee, were you the one that bought the Type 10 "light grenade discharger" (knee mortar) for $1500? Seller said it went to someone in the "mid-west" with a Japanese sir-name. You mid-west CA?

·
Silver Bullet member
15,572 Posts
Victor

What type lower band does/did your #40351 have?

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CW, hehe (sheepish chuckle), greedy collector's are always up to a bit of good (or bad) natured lie I guess, had to buy these 99s.....regarding room, I have indeed no more left. Would you care to buy a T-99 Long or a Jinsen 38 ?

El olde Ronine, naw that's not me. I still have my sights locked onto your T-10 whenever you feel like selling them.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Nice rifle! Does the bolt root area looked scrubbed? The inspection marks are kinda faint, and the edges look pretty sharp. Are there any other inspection marks on the bolt? Again...nice rifle! Jon

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
CW, hehe (sheepish chuckle), greedy collector's are always up to a bit of good (or bad) natured lie I guess, had to buy these 99s.....regarding room, I have indeed no more left. Would you care to buy a T-99 Long or a Jinsen 38 ?

El olde Ronine, naw that's not me. I still have my sights locked onto your T-10 whenever you feel like selling them.
No problem! I'll be in the same boat as you soon, as my father called on the weekend and said he bought a couple of "old Japanese rifles" for me.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Nooner 03man :

Took a bit to get into the Ariska Chamber of goodies, well here is 99 Tokyo 27th series # 40351, it has an " E " rear barrel band, Dang it ! my receiver has dust cover grooves unlike lucky Edokko's # 39227 ...... nah, nah, nah, I got cheated, dang it !!! :((
Also the bolt release is a cross between the A & B variations, it has a forward slopping bevel cut behind the ' grab ' and between the grab and rear it is beveled outside.
My Jinsen " B " bolt release is one straight slab with a more pronounced undercut on the back to provide a finger grab, hadn't noticed that before, shane on me.
Vicasoto

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jon, I looked at that area carefully with a mag glass and doesn't seemd to be scrubbed and renumbered, it loooks like the original number there. The "se" mark is actually well pronounced on the actual bolt, and laso a deeper single "se" on the plum handle itself. I can't figure out how this bolt got into the rifle, but could it be original ?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I can't figure out how this bolt got into the rifle, but could it be original ?
Hummm....well I've learned to be open minded when it comes to Japanese militaria. So I supopose it could be original to the rifle but I'd wanna see other rifles in the same serial number range, the closer the number the better, and compare font style for the bolt numbering.

Have you checked the extractor for inspection marks? Whatever the case it's a killer rifle! Jon

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, checked the extractor, but no markings there whatsoever. Weird...
Thanks for the compliments on the rifle condition.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Takehito,
That stock is super nice. I know where a matching mummed 27th is in the 40K range (rope hole) but its stock is as smooth as a babys ass. Somebody really gave it a work over. Owner doesn't collect this stuff but he knows its rare so he's holding on to it. I made him an offer but it still eludes me. This post may make me try again.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Big Ed, thank you for the compliments. If you do get around to purchase the rifle. I would really appreciate if you could send me some photos of the bolt and the match number marks on the bolt base. Would like to see if there are any resemblence to the markings on my bolt.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts