Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I ever read or hear about is the use of cast bullets when using Unique for lighter plinking loads in rifles, why can't we use jacketed bullets? Is there a danger or something?

·
PlatinumBullet Member
19,948 Posts
All I ever read or hear about is the use of cast bullets when using Unique for lighter plinking loads in rifles, why can't we use jacketed bullets? Is there a danger or something?
Hope I explain this right.
Unique is a much faster powder than say H4895. It will peak in pressure quickly. When pushing a jacketed bullet through the bore the pressure will drop faster, as the jacketed bullet is harder and takes more time to exit the muzzle than a softer, cast bullet. These things happen so quickly we really can't notice a difference. But as the bullet leaves the mouth of the case, space in the barrel is forming. A fast powder that goes boom, will lose pressure more quickly than a slower burning powder. Slower powders like H4895 hold their pressure longer, not peaking as rapidly, (they go booooooom and therefore have pressure still building as they are pushing the harder jackted bullet through the bore and out the muzzle.
A cast bullet is much softer than jacketed and is pushed through the bore much quicker, with less resistance, and a faster powder like Unique, still has enough pressure to drive it through, while still giving good velocities and energy.
Don't know if there would be any dangers from using Unique in rifles for jacketed bullets. Pressure spikes may come into play.
Quickly glancing through my Lee manual for popular cartridges like the .223, 30carbine, .243, .270, 30-30, 308 and -06 I did not find one load with jacketed bullets using Unique in any given bullet weight.
HTHS
Warren

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
I see no real reason why you couldn't use unique for the same REDUCED loads in jacketed that you run with cast, you just won't run full-velocity loads for ANY rifle bullets in rifle calibres, using Unique (or any non-rifle-designed-powder) due to the above pressure curve limitations.
There's no real "load development" done for "reduced loads" in jacketed bullets, except by a few people who are not usually commercially published.

I've done .308 Reduced loads with Speer's 1/2-jacket 100gr .308 bullet, looooong time ago, probably used Unique (again, loooooooooong time ago).

cast lead bullets are softer than jacket metal, BUT, they are also typically 1 thou or so larger than the bore size, "swaging" them in as they enter the barrel, adding drag you don't get from a "correct-fit" jacketed bullet. I have not seen data from testing (don't know if testing has ever been done down this line) but, due to this, I doubt, all things else kept equal, that the pressure difference due to bullet construction would be large, modest, quite likely, but, IMO, not a vast difference.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Low speed loads

Hi
As the guys said it can be done but be carefull. Something not mentioned is the chance of sticking a bullet in the bore. The bore friction is a lot higher with any jacketed bullet. You are especially at risk if the bullet to bore fit is loose. Gas will blow by the bullet and you will loose pressure. This happens in revlovers sometimes when using jacketed bullets with light loads. The gas leaks out of the barrel cylinder gap too fast.
n.h.schmidt

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Good Question...one I wonder myself as I want to try 15gr of Unique in a .303 behind a 123gr .310 FMJ AK bullet. Seems like that would be a good, cheap plinking load and I have a BUCKET full of IMI AK bullets I will never use up in 7.62x39mm reloads.

Is that TOO much Unique? Maybe a little slower powder like Blue Dot?

Trail boss might be good. People ARE using this powder with jacketed bullets now.

This would be just as good or better for a 7.62x54R plinking round.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,120 Posts
SR4759 was developed for reduced loads with jacketed bullets. (so I've read) I use lots of it in this application, starting at 19g in a full size cartridge like your 303, I've gone up to 21, haven't needed more than that to achieve good accuracy.
Very soft shooting.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
SR4759 was developed for reduced loads with jacketed bullets. (so I've read) I use lots of it in this application, starting at 19g in a full size cartridge like your 303, I've gone up to 21, haven't needed more than that to achieve good accuracy.
Very soft shooting.
Yes a good powder for those loads....maybe the "best powder"....but I don't want to buy another powder just for these plinkers.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
I just did a Google search on "Reduced Loads" and found a lot of people are shooting gallery loads of Unique or Blue Dot behind 30cal Jacketed bullets with no reports of problems.

Seems like a low risk endevor. I will report my luck when I get some loads to the range. Maybe I can shoot the Jungle Carbine all day this trip out!

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
As another stated It will work but you cant just throw together any load which there is no data avalible. Do some reading and research on the matter and make your own decision.Alot has been mentioned also about sticking a bullet in the barrel,Let me tell you it dosent take alot of powder to get the bullet cast or otherwise out the barrel I actually tested to find out this on some whisper type loads in a 30-06 w/24"barrel. I got down to 2.5 grs of Bullseye with a 185 gr cast bullet Yes it was sling shot velocity but made it to the 25 yd target in my yard ,2.3 grs stuck the bullet 2" from the muzzle in the barrel. Moral of the story basicly any REASONABLE light load with fast pistol or shotgun powders will work acceptably and has more than sufficient energy to shoot 50-100 yds

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I've been doing it for years. I can't remember which magazine published the article it was a long time ago. I have loaded Hornady and Speer 100gr. short jackets with 9 to 15 gr. Unique in .308 Win. It was perfect training ammo for my son. He took his first whitetail with confidence. Like most of us he never noticed the bark and bite of the full power 150 BT load when shooting at game because he didn't have to get beat up by it in practice. I loaded 100gr HP in .280 Rem. with 15gr. Unique. The average velocity of 5 rounds was right around 2000fps. max dev. was less than 50 and accuracy at 50 yds. was less than an inch. Many owners of wildcat calibers have also been using Unique, Green Dot, and others for fire forming loads. I use 12gr. Unique in a 22-6mm Ackley Improved with a 55gr bullet to fire form necked down 6mm Rem brass to the new chamber shape. The fire forming loads shoot as good at 100 yds. as the real loads!! I've also used this load with a 55grHP for short range groundhog hunting. I would like to here from someone who has tried it with some heavier bullets in the .243 to .30 cal. rifles.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Jacketed bullets will stick at velocities below about 500 fps . They either come out or won't, no in between. Cast lead will work ok at that speed.
Be careful that the bullet has cleared the muzzle before you fire another.
good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts