Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking of getting one or 2 of these Jackery lithium battery units for short term power failures that we get in my area .I have seen them go for as low as 850 on amazon .anyone ever use one ?you can also charge them on solar panels.They only need to be recharged every 3 months when not in use and I like that I can bring them inside and use where I want to and that they are easy on electronics..I mainly need them for computer,tv and fridge..

·
Banned
2,199 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
A small Honda gen will run about 8 hrs on a small tank of gas , you can't beat them . If your going to try and run the whole house get a generator large enough to run the whole house and tie it in . Charging a fridge or freezer takes about 30 mn. + or - twice a day , the small Honda or equivalent brand can do that , then run your lights , T.V , microwave ect , ect , just not all at once . Small enough to take camping , boating , will run a portable AC , all small power tools .

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can also charge it off an auto/rv or gas generator plus I already have a gas Generac that would also run outside to run my garage fridge and freezer and charge a jackery at the same time..Only once in the 25 years I have lived in my area has the power been out for more than 4 hours-when the Willamette flooded and it was out for almost 2 days..I have a good sized gas fireplace that can heat my entire home even with the fans not running-but a battery powered one near the fireplace would take care of that..I think 2 jackerys will serve me well.Yeah -people I know are picking up the Firmans at costco and they are a good deal-not to mention trifuel.the jackery is a handy size for me and if I pick up some solar panels in the spring I feel I will be adequately served. My generac is 20years old but runs great.Generators were unobtanium around here for the first 4+ months of pandemonia.Etaban-Based on what others have told me the Firman is an excellent choice at 789 here.It's what I would get.Supposedly you can rechare a jackery lithium 500 times.I just don't know anyone who has owned one.I think this is an item others looking for safe power that is kind to electronics.

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A small Honda gen will run about 8 hrs on a small tank of gas , you can't beat them . If your going to try and run the whole house get a generator large enough to run the whole house and tie it in . Charging a fridge or freezer takes about 30 mn. + or - twice a day , the small Honda or equivalent brand can do that , then run your lights , T.V , microwave ect , ect , just not all at once . Small enough to take camping , boating , will run a portable AC , all small power tools .
True-these are terrific and I have a lot of friends that have these but with the modern age a pure sine wave generator(closest to the what is available in your home)is what I need as I already have a decent generac .

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
that battery will run a single 100 watt bulb for 10 hours and take 8 hours to charge (at best) with included panels ... yes now we have LED's and Cell phones that use less power but a kilowatt is a kilowatt

look at your electrical bill to see what your average usage is per month and divide that by the days in a month wouldn't be unusual for you to be using a kilowatt an hour ( more with central air)

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
If the future best predicted by past; stats; "actuarial concepts" apply. Such, beyond hospital/emergency services or folks with uninterrupted power-essential medical appliances... Home power supply investments beyond such; most folks moving more to "preference" than "necessity". While as the saying, "differing requirements may apply"... The example of eight hours without power, tending toward "rare occurrence" for most of us. Moreover, family sustainability factors hardly 'in play' without greater duration or dimension. At most, seeming some refrigerated/frozen foods compromised. That too in 'off limits' plan. But getting back to fundamentals; how often that occurrence? "Minimal power requirements, measured against the size auxiliary power unit required to operate whatever appliances deemed "power-required; such to run efficiently & without damage. Costs involved.
Connectivity another issue as despite the emotional trauma of being "Internet deprived", if wider area "outage", Internet likely a collateral casualty & mobile services not far behind as mobile tower emergency battery supplies expire with some hours in service & heavy loads. In truly "sustained" power outages, most likely the underlying causation to be a heavier problem for all folks affected than simply 'power.' The outage reflecting only "symptomatic".
Good planning, simple as LED flashlights, batteries, vehicle, ever-substantial gas. Dimension of vehicle recharging electronics toward emergency 'keeping in touch'; informed as possible. End game, from fight to flight, evac package & capability! Mobility our ever alternate... Absent universal "pandemic".
Most of my emergency planning realm, wildfire and nowadays "pandemic related", family doing our part with masks, distancing and local-essential travel only. Hope you all doing yours!
Best & Stay Safe!
John

·
Banned
2,199 Posts
What I like best about the Firmans is the tri fuel. I can hook right up to my outdoor barbeque NG line. No trips to the gas station or having the need for multiple propane tanks.

·
Administrator
18,339 Posts
Years ago, when I bought my generator, the price of the meat in my freezer was higher than the price of the gasoline it would cost to run the generator for 2 days. Then the price of gasoline went up and I figured it wasn't worth running the generator to save the meat. Being able to run at least one refrigerator and a room air conditioner does keep things livable in the summer heat though.

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Years ago, when I bought my generator, the price of the meat in my freezer was higher than the price of the gasoline it would cost to run the generator for 2 days. Then the price of gasoline went up and I figured it wasn't worth running the generator to save the meat. Being able to run at least one refrigerator and a room air conditioner does keep things livable in the summer heat though.
I was also thinking of getting a lps/propane /electric freezer and fridge(they would run on electric of course for daily use) for the garage but the units look smaller than I would like and are used in rvs and cabins.But a grill gas tank will likely run both for 4 days in the summer or one for each and go about 8 days.you might consider getting a freezer fridge combo too as it would take frozen meat several days to thaw and keep the fish/veggies in the upper freezer section...the last thing I will be doing is going to the store in an emergency. got a zillion led puck lights .so dont need to worry about powering bulb that tap the generators.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
All I have to say is this - I do monthly engine/generator runs for a major telecommunications company as part or regular routines... most of our back up generators are diesel fuel, but we do have a few NG units. When my Tier 2 power guy does maintenance (change fluids/filters/etc.) and changes oil on the NG units - you can easily treat/mistake that used motor oil as unused - much much cleaner and easier on the generator compared to my diesel units... So, if one does have a fuel option - do LP or NG vs gas/diesel - you will enjoy your generator for much longer and it is way cleaner burning...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.