Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone help me with information on this shotgun? Year of manufacture, guage, value etc. All I know is that it is pinfire, it has a 4 digit serial no. and that the maker is J. Roux. (I do know the hammer are broken) Replacements?TIA

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well 3 days and no response must mean that this shotgun must be really rare and no one has seen one.

·
Silver Bullet member
150 Posts
Roux

Lookat this:
http://www.academie-des-armes-anciennes.com/mag10.html

There is a reference to a Henri Roux. From what I read, your shotgun would be a LeFaucheux. Apparently Casimir LeFaucheux was an employee of Henri Roux's in the 1820's and later, in 1827 bought some of Roux's patents (don't know what they were, though).
In 1835, LeFaucheux invents the T-lock and the revolutionary pin fire ignition system (which your gun possesses). The discrepency between Henri and "J" Roux could mean a different family member's involvement in the firm. Hope this helps a bit but that's all I have found so far.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Stone...I'll keep looking. There's got to be some info out there some where.

·
Registered
636 Posts
sorry to be so late to answer, a lot of work. Well, your gun supports belgian proof marks from belgium (Liege). The V crown was among the controlers marks in service between 1853 and 1877. So I think your shot gun was made by Jacques ROUX, barrel maker at Liege (Belgium) between 1856 and 1890. produced 620 barrels in 1856. Took belgian patents in august 1856 for a mecanism that enhanced the Lefaucheux locking mecanism. Three other patents in 1861 and 1865. The stock is of the french style for as much as I can see. if the diameter of the barrels is circa 18.2-18.5 mm, it is a 12 gage. If the diameter is circa 17.5 mm, it is a 16 gage. Last year, Fiocchi was still producing cartridges in these calibers.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Alamas - this is helpful!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts