Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just one card here, from Jäger Franz Poll, but we also have his photo from the Ehrentafel.

From this we know that he survived the war, and if you look close, you will see the ribbon of an EK II on his chest. The Litzen on his collar do not seem to corispond to his unit at the time the card was written, but as it was written from the Feld Rekrutendepot, this would out of place, as he would have been assigned to a different unit as a replacement.

Abs(ender) Jäger PollFeldrek(ruten) Dep(ot) d. Feldpost
271 4 Komp(agnie)
Feldpsot
An Herrn
Alois Kuhl
in Brenig Post Bornheim
Kreis Bonn
Rheinland

Die besten Gruße von
Dien Freund Franz
Daß ist doch eine Langweilig
Fahrt. Venn ich schon
Werdet an den Morgi? zum
Sontag denken dann
werdet ihr wieder nach dem
Buchholz sauhen (schauen?) Es gr(uss) dich Franz

Gruß an alle andere

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Adresses are ok. You forgot to type a couple of words (I'm sure you could easily read them).

Die besten Grüsse von der Fahrt* sendet dir dein Freund Franz. Dass ist doch eine langweilig(e) Fahrt. Wenn ich schon wieder an den Morgigen (should have been written with a lower case) Sonntag denken (sic) dann werdet ihr wieder nach dem Buchholz sausen**.
Es gr(üsst) dich Franz.
Margin: Grüsse an alle andere.

* In the sense of: journey/travel.
** Have the impression that the verb "sausen" is used here in the sense of "going in a hurry to something/somebody". "Buchholz" is probably a familyname here (it could also, after all on a Sunday, be the name of a local tavern!).

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Big Commander, I have no idea what happend to "dir dein " as they are in my text on paper, and I thought I had cut and pasted the text. I suspect that for some reason I typed this one. I am still making simple mistakes, but then these cards were all transcribed at the same time over the Christmas holidays. I hesitate to write in words that I think might be correct, as that has taken me in the wrong direction in the past, and the upper case M on morgigen threw me.
I did not take Buchholz to be a family name or that of a place, but a state of mind (as well as a wooded area), being a rural man, I thought he may be looking forward to being back in a natural setting, this is, of course, speculation, but for me, it is sagebrush.
Best wishes
Gus

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I heard the word "sagebrush" before but don't remember what this realy means and my dictionary is too small. "Buchholz" means (literary) "Beechwood", as you know this is also a family name (e.g. Horst Buchholz, the film actor of German descendence).
To be clear, you forgot to type the bold words:"Die besten Grüsse von der Fahrt sendet dir dein ...". It takes more time to type than to explain.
I'll try to make the transcription of the two "Johann Poll cards" tonight, but as you know ... had to put the chief on the airplane to Gran Canaria, must eat "scampi's" at my daughters place tonight and depart for Fred's funeral early in the morning ... never have been so busy as the last couple of years ... if it doesn't kill me it will keep me young!

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hoi
big Commander,
You are right, I did miss the whole line on the version I posted here, I think I typed that one in rather than cutting and pasting, I find that I often get lost on a transcription if I am not careful, and I really should proof read more.
Sagebrush is a native plant to this area, it has a strong smell that most of the Europeans who have visited do not like, but to me, there is nothing that smess better than sagebrush after a rain, I will send you a bit so you can experiance it too:)
Please give Fred my prayers too.
Bestwishes
Gsu

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Sorry to be of topic but I understand Gus, never a smell of plants realy touched me until I once mounted Vesuvius volcano near Pompei (Naples). A certain fragrance enchanted me and a local told me it was the smell of the many shrubs of "ginestre" ... broom. I still would recognize this perfume today. So many delights are for free.

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
You are both right when it comes to the smell of plants. Where I'm from there is a small plant that will only grow that far north, never seen anywhere else... It is called Finnmarkspors ("Finnmark" being the northernmost and easternmost area of Norway and "pors" being the name of the type of plant), It is a strong spicy plant used in food and local brew and also well suited for preservation the way you'd use the rosemary plant. Whenever I go there and go into the hills and smell that... Tells me I'm home! It has a strong smell, especially after rain, and if you are not used to it it will probably not appeal to you, but to me... Oh yes it does!

BTW, I think translation of that card will require some thought. I tried, but need to think more before I can come up with a legible translation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.