Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me out here guys. I'm looking at a 1943 91/30 - here's a pic of the left side marking on the receiver. Ex-sniper? The number shown isalmost a duplicate of the SN marked on the top so it threw me a bit.

What say the experts?

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,243 Posts
Nope, if an ex-sniper, the scope number would be on the barrel, not the receiver. Also, midwar Izhevsk receivers are very rough (like this one), but on the midwar snipers they tend to be much smoother. Also, I don't see any welded-up holes. Hope this isn't bad news. :confused:

EDIT: Also, I'd say that's an older import, with the Russian serial "translated" and repeated on the receiver as a new import serial.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, if an ex-sniper, the scope number would be on the barrel, not the receiver. Also, midwar Izhevsk receivers are very rough (like this one), but on the midwar snipers they tend to be much smoother. Also, I don't see any welded-up holes. Hope this isn't bad news. :confused:

EDIT: Also, I'd say that's an older import, with the Russian serial "translated" and repeated on the receiver as a new import serial.

That makes sense - just didn't seem right with the closeness of the numbers. And, I now remember that the number IS on the barrel. I found this rifle on Gunbroker - misspelled and no bid. Actually looks pretty good but there are only 3 pics so it's hard to tell. Thanks for tolerating stupid questions.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,243 Posts
That makes sense - just didn't seem right with the closeness of the numbers. And, I now remember that the number IS on the barrel. I found this rifle on Gunbroker - misspelled and no bid. Actually looks pretty good but there are only 3 pics so it's hard to tell. Thanks for tolerating stupid questions.
Not stupid questions, and by the way, I know you asked for "expert" opinions, and I'm definitely not one. :rolleyes:

By the way, I'm pretty sure an "unadvertised" ex went on GB last night, check out this (now closed) auction link:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=285187035

In pic 8, it looks like a scope number has been scrubbed off the barrel, and in pic 10, looks like a "c" stamped on the receiver next to the bolt.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,089 Posts
Not stupid questions, and by the way, I know you asked for "expert" opinions, and I'm definitely not one. :rolleyes:

By the way, I'm pretty sure an "unadvertised" ex went on GB last night, check out this (now closed) auction link:

In pic 8, it looks like a scope number has been scrubbed off the barrel, and in pic 10, looks like a "c" stamped on the receiver next to the bolt.
I think you're right. Nice buy for $79.00 for someone.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,243 Posts
I think you're right. Nice buy for $79.00 for someone.
Nope-it went up to at least $120. I had been watching it, and actually sent the seller a question about it but he never got back with me. I'd have never paid what it went to anyway-I've bought too many very nice ex-pu's for less than $80. Maybe if I didn't have them I would have paid that.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm hunting for an ex-sniper - that'sone of the reasons I asked about the one I posted. Just don't want to pay the current Gunbroker price...but not having any luck tracking one down.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,243 Posts
I'm hunting for an ex-sniper - that'sone of the reasons I asked about the one I posted. Just don't want to pay the current Gunbroker price...but not having any luck tracking one down.
If you have places near you that sell refurbs in some volume, you should be able to track one down eventually if you go in occasionally and look for them. And when you find one, odds are pretty good that it'll have an excellent bore-just seems to come with the territory on ex's.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No one sells them in any volume here in our area - once in awhile find one in Gander Mountain but rarely.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,243 Posts
Unfortunately, retailers are starting to get a clue about them. And don't get me wrong, I'll pay a little premium for one, but they're trying to make a killing off them. It's probably going to get harder and harder to find one that someone isn't trying to make a mint on.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you are right - unfortunately. I have the dealer I bought my last two 91/30s from on Sunday looking for one. His prices weren't bad and I didn't have to payany shipping so it was actually better than buying them from SOG. Maybe he'll get lucky and find one for me.

·
Registered
468 Posts

Keep in mind, I've got a 42 Ishvesk that is not an ex sniper with the C mark on the receiver. I don't remember if anyone else put up pics of a C marked non ex -pu or not. Might be like a CN or CH marked but not drilled Tula.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,243 Posts
Keep in mind, I've got a 42 Ishvesk that is not an ex sniper with the C mark on the receiver. I don't remember if anyone else put up pics of a C marked non ex -pu or not. Might be like a CN or CH marked but not drilled Tula.
Don't know anything definite on that theory, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. Is the receiver on that C marked '42 smoother than the average midwar rifle?

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,243 Posts
Hmmm, I'd say that receiver is smoother than the average '42 Izhevsk. There could be something to that theory. Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to these things, though. None of my '43 ex-pu Izhevsks have the C stamp (though one of them actually looks like it might have been scrubbed off).

·
Registered
468 Posts
My 43 pu has the C mark on the top of the rear right side receiver bridge.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.