Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
15,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should be easy for you guys, remember this rifle was only made for two or three years by ERMA in the eighties? Works like a champ and very accurate. Bought it new for my dad in the eighties, hundred bucks. Still looks like new.

Can't remember the model name and can't find it. Went through my books and the net. Anybody remember the model and the dates of manufacture? Think there were some quality issues, mine doesn't have that. Early two thousand serial, first year, first month rifle maybe?

Lancebear

·
Gold Bullet member
2,614 Posts
It would be easier to help you if you post a picture , in general ERMA and West German guns, made in the late 60´s and early 70´s, carried the year of manufacture stamped together with the german proof marks, I think you´re talking about the rifle made after the M1 carbine model.
About the quality issues you mention, well... you were lucky, in general those ERMA products made during the years mentioned above were, IMO, the best example of POS.

·
Gold Bullet Member
15,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Raul, how are you? You are correct, date behind the proofs, '85. Thought it was from then. When I found info years ago remember it was only made for three years. All steel, fine dark shiny near black finish, and matte finish on the heavy solid round steel barrel. Has a grooved ramp blade front sight. And a five position buckhorn rear.

It's a pump with a long tube magazine. Holds twenty one shorts, and longs and long rifles. This little baby feeds any type of bullit, and is very accurate. It's tight, smooth, reliable and well made and finished. Pump grip is chunky and has nice wide grooves, butt stock I figure is a shotgun style, dark stained beech or walnut.

ERMA had their issues earlier, but they stepped up their game with this rifle. Am an experienced collector, and have to say this is a fine .22 rifle. Handy, balances well and accurate, besides the good looks.

Have shot all kinds of rounds out of it, maybe two thousand or so. Twenty five yards, two inch groups and less, on a good day offhand.

Lancebear

·
Gold Bullet member
2,614 Posts
Hi Lance, never heard of a pump action ERMA, and less that they ever made guns using only steel, what we received in our market were copies of the Luger and the M1 Carbine, constructed mostly with zamac, a lousy stuff that wore out .

·
Gold Bullet member
2,614 Posts
I´m not a detractor of ERMA just for kicks, last yuear my CPA presented me with an ERMA pistol, copy of the Walther PPK IN .22, went to the range and fired a shot, the second one could not be fired because the slide was DERAILED!!!, it happens that the triggerguard is held tight in place by a spring, as the spring isnt strong enough the triggerguard does not seat properly and, as pulling down the triggergurd is the first step to take apart the slide, the slide leaves the rails due to a lack of locking pressure due to a weak spring.

·
Gold Bullet Member
15,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Photos...

Shame about your pistol Raul. Broke my strong magnet out tonight, has a slight pull on the receiver, so it must be an alloy. But the barrel is solid steel, had to pry the magnet off the barrel. Here are some photos for you. Double click on the photos to enlarge.

Bought it for my dad, father's day. Mine now, and it works great, and think looks great too. One on top is a 1887 Colt Lightning, original after cleaning and finding old real parts, just small things like screws and springs. Photos...

Lancebear

·
Silver Bullet member
3,443 Posts
Lancebear, I have a fifteen year old copy of the Blue Book that lists an Iver Johnson "Targetmaster" slide action, model number EW22HBP, made in 1985, and again 1988-1990.
It lists an 18.5 inch barrel. The only discrepancy from your description is that it lists a 12 shot capacity for long rifle cartridges.

The suggested retail was $209.

Hope this helps.

·
Silver Bullet member
52,974 Posts
Have two M1's.....accurate reliable....I used molybimidum disulfide....
After break in...never hung up...
And the cheep materials of there products have keep me away from others in there product lines..
I love my m1's....I even modified the back sight with extra sight stops in between stock factory ones, this improved performance at different distances on the range greatly!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Erma made both a pump and a lever action using the same basic receiver, most parts are interchangeable - if you look at the bottom of the pump it looks like they just cut the lever off & then attached a slide arm, the piece that the lever swiveled on is still there in the pump. Here are two Iver Johnson's, a Targetmaster & a Trailmaster -

Erma also made the lever action for Ithica as their Model 72. This design was acquired by Henry and is the basis of their pump and lever action 22's. The receiver is steel with an alloy cover, a magnet is attracted to the steel underneath. The covers on the pump and lever action might even be interchangeable. The Henry Golden Boy has a cover that curves down to cover the lever attachment point, that is just cosmetic.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,614 Posts
Gene, your two rifles look good and solid !!, unfortunately ERMA never exported such items to South America, in fact I never knew of their existence, congrats

·
Gold Bullet Member
15,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gene my carbine is just like yours. Thanks for the photo of the lever carbine. I also read that Henry uses this design now. Must be good, as they sell a bunch of them. I think the quality of these "Iver Johnson" ERMA's is very good. Since you seem to be in the know, did ERMA design these carbines?

And did Henry have to acquire the rights from ERMA?

Lancebear

1 - 12 of 12 Posts