Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally made the big switch from Mosins to Mausers. For some reason I got a wild hair to sell or trade some of my Mosins recently, and in so doing I've gone from 17 Mosin-Nagants to 2. Along with a few other goodies and paying some bills I've acquired 5 really nice Mausers (actually 4, one hasn't arrived yet). I've managed to pick up a Yugo k98, M48A, 2 24/47's and an '03 Turk (that's the one that hasn't gotten here yet). The Yugo's are all gorgeous. I got the k98 first, and after just holding it and working the action, the MN just didn't do it for me anymore. So, I'll be asking lots of silly questions, but bear with me. I certainly don't have the quantity of rifles I did a few weeks ago, but the quality sure seems nice. This is a picture of the new Yugo's with my old Turk. Needless to say, now I've got to sell some blood or something and scrape up some ammo :p

·
Registered
347 Posts
Heh! Welcome to the downward spiral! As long as you're doomed and happy about it then I guess it's all good. I know what you mean about the comparison. I can appreciate the Mosen. I really can!... but it's not a Mauser. I'm not talking about which is the better rifle here, just which I prefer to hold in my hands and take to the range. They are just wonderful rifles. I hope you continue to enjoy your new friends!

·
Gold Bullet member
1,533 Posts
"I finally made the big switch from Mosins to Mausers."

Ab4ka, don't you know that mosinitis is like the Mob!!? You can never get out. You'll be back!

I have to admit that I too have a special affinity for mausers. I just got in a new M91 and a Yugo Model 1924 and have found myself drawn more to the mauser!!

Looks like you are off to a good start - some nice looking Yugo's there. Stock up on 8mm - It seems to be getting tougher and tougher to find for me.

T

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Congratulations!! The journey has just started!! I love my Mosin Nagants also, but for some reason Paul Mauser's rifles just hit a chord with me also. Maybe it's because they have been used by more different countries and have more variations......I don't know but they do something to you. Try and find a nice Swedish Mauser M-96 rifle to add to your collection. I guarantee you will not regret it!!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I definitely want a Swedish 96. I have a sling for it (that I got with my k98), so I might as well get the rifle :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"I finally made the big switch from Mosins to Mausers."

Ab4ka, don't you know that mosinitis is like the Mob!!? You can never get out. You'll be back!

T
I know...I already feel like the KGB is watching me :p I had a '33 Tula that was the best shooter of them all that I was bound and determined to hang on to, and like a dummy I mentioned to someone that bought one of my other rifles I was keeping that one and he said if I ever decided to part with it he'd take it. 3 days later I have my wife in the e/r, so it went to finance medical bills. Oh well, I still have my sniper and my 91/59 which ain't going nowhere :D

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,298 Posts
At one time I had about 400 Mosin Nagants - I now have about a dozen left. As I focused on Spanish handguns and Spanish mausers, the MNs went bye-bye.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
welcome!

Welcome to the world of mausers! :D Nice collection there.
I too have some Mosins (and will get more) but I'm first and foremost a Mauser man. (nothing at all wrong with USGI arms, I just can't afford them!)

If you're really interested in the history of Yugo Mausers, and haven't already done, you should get Branko Bogdanovic's book, "Serbian & Yugoslav Mauser Rifles." For only about $20 it's the best one stop Yugo reference out there.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
5,996 Posts
I too started with mosins and truly like them, but you have to admit that mauser action is awsome. My first mauser was a 98/22 czech. The first time I worked the action I was really impressed with how smooth it is. I have since aquired a Yugo M48 and a M24/47. I think my favorite is the 24/47. I have no intention of getting rid of my mosins though. I will just have to build my gunroom big enough to house them all. I also have a few enfields and SKS`s. Thats my problem , I like them all!

·
Registered
806 Posts
You can never have too many mausers. You better stock up on 8mm. Wideners has
900rd cans for $149. Stock up.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Well, I went the other way. Started with Mausers and then got more heavily into Mosin Nagants. In any event both actions seem kind of rough to me. Maybe that is because one of my first milsurps was a sporterized Krag. Luckily I gotammo for mine whan it was dirt cheap. My next range trip will probably be with the two Turks I have. They are my most neglected Mausers at the moment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts