Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may recall me mentioning having saved three receivers from an Ebayer who was parting out.
Well having time on my hands at the moment and having accumulated almost enough parts, I will commence to refurb this trio to as close to original as possible.
I was thinking that instead of selling them on, I would try to swap/exchange for something that would slot into my collection, time will tell, as there are a few interesting rifles within the membership of my club alone.
It's obvious that they will need to be good shooters, there goes some of my reasonable barrels, but there's always a price to pay. An immediate one will be finding enough room in my gun safes.
Having said that I will be swamped with work again, who said retirement was boring.

Iron Metal Machine Steel Silver

·
Registered
646 Posts
It's time to give Ned a break and donate the No4 reciever and a barrel to him for being a great bloke and keep him busy as he is as bored as you are!!!
Cheers
Ned

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes Demo, he was parting out good unregistered firearms, I spotted the near complete listings and contacted him to do a deal.
He was just unlucky that I was a dealer and now he's out of action. or maybe not, the wallopers did prosecute, I did a statement up for that, but a hefty fine and a slap on the wrist is all the crims get.

Sorry Ned, I have to do a bit of repair work on that damaged receiver, I wouldn't wish my problems on a mate.....but then!!!!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Demo, I've got sets of timber, all dirty. That's a job in itself, however I did see one of the butts has the early shield and star, just need to match up the rest.
Ned, spotted a No.4T cheekpeice in my stock box, I have a 32 Mk3 scope and some pads, you never know what might happen to that longbranch. (so where can I find a scope mount?)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Roger Payne on the other forum still makes them as issued!
do you really trust your shaky old withered hands to an intricate job like that?
Better off giving it all to a young bloke so he can do it justice!!!
Cheers
Ned

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I did say I'd get busy as soon as I started to do something for myself, but that's life and my retirement income.
Did get to start cleaning up a few bits and making certain I had the right period marked parts, when I came across this one, not one I need but different..... couldn't find it in the Broad Arrow, any clues?

Grey Silver Cemetery Symbol

·
Copper Bullet member
574 Posts
BSA used an italic B. Looks more like the RSAF Sparkbrook B to me.

Of course, Sparkbrook was owned by BSA at that point, so who knows.

Singer did exist at the time, but I have no idea whether they made SMLE parts during WWI.

ETA - There was also apparently a Sparkbrook Manufacturing Company that made motorcycles that was also active during this time period. Might be that.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I converted a 1939 BSA SMLE to .410 shotgun this past week....no guilt on my part as I was just following the bosse's orders and the barrel was munted and the receiver drilled and machined for a scope mount.It would be a shame to do that to aa restorable rifle though.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mate did these come from the same grub we're talking about on another thread?
Demo, as I said, he was put out of action for awhile, but who knows, although I would not think he'd be back.
Yes both these are from him, pity I had not twigged sooner, sure would have liked the complete rifles.
It looks like there are two grubs out there at the moment, I wish I had the ready cash to buy up what they have to offer before they strip it out.
The big question is .... are the firearms just unregistered or stolen? the 3 actions I picked up were unregistered and unrecorded.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.