Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
slightly amazed there has not been any discussion of the unusual cold weather and all the hype and alarm of the millions of folks without power, heat, and water.

so I am assuming everybody is okay and not struggling to stay warm in their car?

amused that some folks trying to blame it on frozen windmills , well, at least nobody is getting cancer from the noise

on another subject saw some predictions for 10G phones going in the near future .. would that cause a pandemic twice as bad? :)

How and why a nuclear reactor shut down in Texas cold snap when energy was needed most (washingtonexaminer.com)

Reactors are highly dependent on cooling water in a very narrow range since pipes and feedstock intakes are fixed in size and pumps are designed to certain capacities the cooling water has to stay within a narrow range or the reactor has to be operated at reduced power or shut down ... more often from drought or high water temps in the summer , but floods and extreme cold weather can affect operations as well.. floods are particularly problematic if they are carrying a bunch of trash, trees, and cars with them that can foul or even block intakes

Energy officials: Extreme cold crippled natural gas, wind, coal, and nuclear plants (sanantonioreport.org) the biggy here is cold weather reducing line pressure on natural gas ... you have probably experienced this by trying to warm up a near empty BIC type lighter to get the last few flames out of it.

even with coal it takes more fuel to boil 35 degree water than 70 degree water to make steam and if everything isn't insulated to the max that steam will lose heat thru the pipes and that causes loss of pressure so it does less work generating power

with dams you want every inch of height differential in the water column ( potential energy) but if the surface or near surface water freezes you might have to draw water from a slightly lower depth ( less potential energy ) = less generated power if you can access liquid water at all .. depends where the designers put the intakes and the water level some dams have elaborate multilevel intakes and some just aren't worth running below certain water levels like in droughts

Too many power sources are highly dependent on weather staying with in certain historical norms and are extremely expensive to upgrade to cover a wider temperature span

ERCOT knew they were vulnerable since 2011 and did nothing and being a single state grid didn't have enough backup power capacity to make up the deficit.
Oklahoma is in a multi state grid ( all mostly north of Oklahoma where it normally colder, better prepared for the cold, and they aren't having all this shortfall

probably a good idea if you live in underprepared states like Texas to have some personal way to generate electricity and provide alternative heat , really no excuse give how long the state has known how vulnerable and underpowered in emergencies it is ..

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Energy officials: Extreme cold crippled natural gas, wind, coal, and nuclear plants (sanantonioreport.org) the biggy here is cold weather reducing line pressure on natural gas ... you have probably experienced this by trying to warm up a near empty BIC type lighter to get the last few flames out of it.
what a bunch of horsesh&t!!!!!!!!!

the entire NE of the US has more then quite a few nuclear power plant, I know for a fact it's more then Texico has............and several thousands of miles of natural gas pipe lines running all over the place............and guess what? we still have power and heat every fricken winter, the nuclear plants all of sudden didn't failed because of the cold, gas lines didn't fail because of the cold, and we still get water when we turn on the tap, even in the winter, ...and it gets much, much colder up here then what the little cold snap that Texico experience.

you know what we call temps in the low two digits and below 0???????????

we call it WINTER, happens every year like clockwork..........you can even set your calendar to when it happens

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Musta not read the articles I posted .. the ones in Texas are not winterized , they recognized that fact about 10 years ago when something like this happened before , but whatever you explain why they don't have power in the center of the US power industry . Speaking of facts or articles do you have any that indicate Texas power stations of whatever stripe are set up like the ones up north , any facts articles to back up your assertion's or dispute the vulnerabilities of Texas power stations I mentioned ? Maybe read the articles .. I figure the folks in San Antonio that are complaining about the lack of winterization action once it was identified know more than you

also some possibility of gasoline shortages and price spikes, so fill up

Maybe it's a fake power outage by liberals to facilitate a real "Jade Helm" this time?, maybe Soros space lasers knocking them out? Just asking?

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'm not effected feel bad for anybody in the cold without heat. I know what it's like to be cold,I have a 600 sq ft house I heat with wood, power goes out I still have heat and I always put up more wood then I think I'll need just common sense. I like wood cause I have never found oil or gas but I can always find some wood to burn even if it's my furniture . Pretty sure it won't be long before they ban burning wood

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have lot,s of family in Texas , they all have power at the moment but no water . My sister is in Louisiana and they have also had some rolling blackouts , so a power shortage is not just in Texas . Ability to produce enough power to mitigate power shortage with rolling blackouts seems to only be in Texas . They lost most of their power production from wind / solar and can not make it up with coal / gas / nuke due to issues Ammo Sgt posted about . It is failure on a number of levels and a wake up call on the Green New Deal . The Texas grid is connected with i think with two other grids for emergence,s , may be the other grids don't have the spare power production , or Texas hasn't the know how to draw from those grids . All I can say is God Bless Alabama Power .

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
From news reports, both US & Aus., it is my understanding wind power was still producing, but it was the other sources which is/was the problem.
There was a call also for an integrated National Grid, presumably leaving Alaska & Hawaii on the outer;).

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Texas power outage map: What caused outages, ERCOT rolling blackouts? (usatoday.com) read it before pronouncing which barn animal left their feces on the forum please. don't blame the horse for what the jackass ( species name [Equus africanus asinus] did.

when it was thought it was a once in 30 year problem they cut corners on winterizing and having reserves of generating capacity to meet demand that far exceeded the presumed max demand of summer time in Texas .. happened in 2011 now again in 2021 but wait another storm is coming next week/ next few days

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
The Texas grid is connected with i think with two other grids for emergences , may be the other grids don't have the spare power production , or Texas hasn't the know how to draw from those grids .
90 percent of Texico isn't connected to any grid, either on the Western interconnect or the Eastern Interconnect like all the other states are.......they decided to go it alone. except for El Paso and parts of the panhandle who isn't part of ercot, so they aren't seeing the same issues as the rest of the state, no disruptions to power or gas............so those Texicans are staying warm and toasty and watching on the TV the rest of state descending in a mad max scenario

"Mary Lou, turn down the heat it's getting brazing hot"

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
I will say this,
that saying that Texicans are tough, is just myth, when it comes down to it, those guys are all just big pu**ies

a couple of years ago I went down to Whoston in February to visit a friend who decided to make Texico his home, god knows why he would do a stupid thing like that.........the temp got to 40 degrees or there about, not really cold........my god you thought the world ended, everything in the city came to screeching halt , and there was one of those emergency broadcast announcements on TV, seemed like every hour, about the cold, and breaking news about the cold. all I could do was laugh, laugh and laugh.

I went out on his patio in just a tee-shirt to smoke....he come out bundled up like admiral Byrd on his polar expedition, I about fell out the chair laughing so hard

when I asked my friend to check what the temp is in Cleveland........he came back with "it's 1 degree"
I immediate came back with, "if that was the temp here all these texicans would be committing suicide, up there 40 degrees would be a tropical heat wave for February"

if we get 6" of snow, it's not even worth my effort to even start up the snow thrower to clear my driveway, and I have a CHEVY CRUZ

·
Registered
95 Posts
From WI so talk of winter weather doesn't faze me much. Just another winter day. In fact -9 this morning on the way to work. Most of the side roads are still icey or snow covered from two weeks ago. Hasn't been above 10 degrees except for the last two days getting into the teens. I'm not convinced a uniform grid is the way to go. I work in the switchgear industry and most of our customers are utilities or solar generation. It's amazing how much different the gear is from utility to utility. They all have there own way of maintaining their piece of the grid. In a way patchwork is good - if a glitch happens it usually can be contained within a certain area. A uniform grid is hacked or compromised then the whole continent could come down.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
They were talking on the news like the temps in Texas was that of Antarctica. Give me a break. Ive walked to the mailbox to bring in the mail in 18 degrees barefooted literally dozens of times, simply because I was too lazy to put on shoes. It aint that cold.

Im amazed how those places have zero snow plows or at least one truck with a plow. I realize that its not prudent for a town to spend money on a piece of machinery thats probably not going to be used, but now we are seeing what happens when saving money takes precedence over a little planning.

Guess nobody has a fireplace or even a heat pump in their home down in Texas. In my home, if the power goes out, its not an issue for heat, I simply light the fireplace and sit back in my shorts.

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Guess nobody has a fireplace or even a heat pump in their home down in Texas.
heat pump won't do any good, it runs on electricity..........now, if you have a gas powered whole house generator that puts out 220 volts you got something to keep you warm...........but then there is the issue of storing enough gas or buying gas. gas stations pumps run on electricity........no juice no pump

I have a heat pump up here in Cleveland, and folks comment that won't keep you warm in the freezing winter temperature ........wrong, I stay nice and toasty through the entire winter, and have been doing so for that last 25 years. :D and I stay nice and cool during the "dog days of summer"....even though it only last for about 3 months(jun-aug) up here, the rest of the year it's cold

·
Registered
92 Posts
I grew up in the Canadian prairies, so I am all too familiar with cold and windchill, but I also chafe at the idea that Texas should have winterized all it's power production, however fiscally it doesn't always make sense to plan your utilities over a once every 50 - 100 year event. Most equipment in use will never last long enough to experience that condition and people would be loath to pay the extra costs for what would most likely be a minimal benefit. It would be like asking Alaska to design for prolonged 120°F heat waves.

As to the thoughts that they are weak sauce for complaining about the cold, but up here in Canada the Military is called out yearly to do the shit duties of cleanup in certain location of the country, like sandbagging around people living in low lands or shovelling their snow, etc.

I can't wait to head south and live where it rarely if ever gets below freezing, I can handle the cold, but sure would like to not have too for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Hi Sfc. Ret,

Enjoying your posts, they have a bit of realism to them. It's a bit of a change from the many thoughtful & wordy posts expressed here by the Discussion Starter This IS the Survival/Preparedness section of the board!

.The people in ANY geographic area, SHOULD be smart enough to have a back up system for a emergency.
I for one had a boat & six man raft when I lived in a flood area. I provided heat ,showers & hot food for thee family's when we were out of power for 16 days when a bad ice storm hit.
Expecting any private or government agency to be on line with a AUTOMATIC fix would cost TRILLIONS of dollars.
WHO is going to happily pay the piper today for something that might happen?

As we now know, that money for buying Arab oil & gas at a higher cost + shipping to the USA increased tax's on Arab oil is the plan. What was the figures 12,000 oil workers + many thousands of related workers out of work with a stroke of a pen? What happened to a self sufficient AMERICA?
Of course the state & federal government's will spend trillions more dollars on all the newly arrived alien's.
How much will a $4 meal at Mc Burger cost, if everyone in the store is making $15 minimum a hour?
When will we see reality rather then feel good nonsense?

Carry on!
point6

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I grew up in the Canadian prairies, so I am all too familiar with cold and windchill, but I also chafe at the idea that Texas should have winterized all it's power production, however fiscally it doesn't always make sense to plan your utilities over a once every 50 - 100 year event. Most equipment in use will never last long enough to experience that condition and people would be loath to pay the extra costs for what would most likely be a minimal benefit. It would be like asking Alaska to design for prolonged 120°F heat waves.

As to the thoughts that they are weak sauce for complaining about the cold, but up here in Canada the Military is called out yearly to do the shit duties of cleanup in certain location of the country, like sandbagging around people living in low lands or shovelling their snow, etc.

I can't wait to head south and live where it rarely if ever gets below freezing, I can handle the cold, but sure would like to not have too for the rest of my life.
this once every 50-100 year event has occurred in 1989, 2011, and now with 2 sperate back to back storms in 2011. So once in 50 or once in a 100 may not be accurate, and if anybody think this is over, Texas law lets power providers spike prices in shortages .. folks with no power today are looking at electrical bills estimated at $ 1500 +/- for this billing period

·
Banned
2,310 Posts
this once every 50-100 year event has occurred in 1989, 2011, and now with 2 sperate back to back storms in 2011. So once in 50 or once in a 100 may not be accurate, and if anybody think this is over, Texas law lets power providers spike prices in shortages .. folks with no power today are looking at electrical bills estimated at $ 1500 +/- for this billing period
I think they call that "freedom" down there, or something like that.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.