Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the way prices have gotten I thought I'd never find another Mosin-Nagant that I would buy, then I lucked out.
A fellow shooter at a 3 gun match was showing a few rifles from an estate he was selling for the owner and I told him that if there were any Mosin-Nagant rifles I'd help him ID and price them. At the next match a month later he brought along a 91/30, a sporterized Type 53, and this 28/30. I was very upfront with him that it could fetch some crazy $ and gave him a range and a low end, and told him I'd help him sell it on the internet if he liked but finding a local buyer would take time. After a few weeks he told me I could have it at the "low end" price if I wanted it. I managed to scrape up the $ and it is now mine!
1936, matching, including the butt plate and stock, which is new to me compared to other Finnish rifles which typically only match by bolt handle and barreled receiver. The stock looks like a one piece Russian with sling swivels, and even has a faint Deutsche capture mark on the left side, along with some other markings. It has a good bore but needs some light cleaning and I want to take it apart to see the receiver date. I plan on taking it to the range soon alongside my Sako M39 strait stock for a shooting comparison.
Musical instrument Air gun Trigger Shotgun Wood

Wood Natural material Fashion accessory Metal Titanium

Door Handle Wood Household hardware Door handle

Wood Rectangle Gas Artifact Font

Wood Table Hardwood Wood stain Natural material

Wood Wood stain Natural material Metal Fashion accessory

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
1936, matching, including the butt plate and stock, which is new to me compared to other Finnish rifles which typically only match by bolt handle and barreled receiver. The stock looks like a one piece Russian with sling swivels, and even has a faint Deutsche capture mark on the left side, along with some other markings.
Fully original Civil Guard m/28-30 would have matching receiver, bolt handle and butt plate. Is there are Civil Guard district number ("S number")?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the price range you recommended?
Trying to figure out what a 28/30 in excellent condition would cost.
I told him $750-1400. Locally, It's hard to find a decent surplus rifle for under $600, and most are $800=900.
I did see a beautiful Sky marked M39 today for $1200. It was really nice, but I can't justify that myself anymore as I get closer to retirement. It's hard to tell anymore, but we all know once something unusual or hard to find goes on an online auction it can get ridiculous.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Fully original Civil Guard m/28-30 would have matching receiver, bolt handle and butt plate. Is there are Civil Guard district number ("S number")?
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit

mangrove, did this practice with the buttplate continue into 1940?

I have a 1940 m28/30 that is seemingly original, no S number, correctly stamped 40 civil guard cartouche, buttplate is not serialized though

·
Registered
177 Posts
I told him $750-1400. Locally, It's hard to find a decent surplus rifle for under $600, and most are $800=900.
I did see a beautiful Sky marked M39 today for $1200. It was really nice, but I can't justify that myself anymore as I get closer to retirement. It's hard to tell anymore, but we all know once something unusual or hard to find goes on an online auction it can get ridiculous.
I think you gave him a fair range there, and you were able to get a nice rifle at a nice price. Curious how the bore slugs and how it’ll shoot once you get it to the range.

Not to derail from your rifle but what are your thoughts on prices for sky m39s? There’s one local to me being offered for $800 and I’ve been tempted to grab it

·
Gold Bullet member
8,513 Posts
I think you gave him a fair range there, and you were able to get a nice rifle at a nice price. Curious how the bore slugs and how it’ll shoot once you get it to the range.

Not to derail from your rifle but what are your thoughts on prices for sky m39s? There’s one local to me being offered for $800 and I’ve been tempted to grab it
Ignore the SkY stamp. As in real estate, it's bore condition, bore condition...

·
Silver Bullet member
2,113 Posts
Nice find there old comrade at arms. The best of all of the MN's for sure!
I am so lucky to live in south central alaska and over the years owned 4 of them. In the early 1990's a gun dealer in wasilla brought in a case or two of 28/30's. original asking price was $69.95 I am told. I bought one with what appeared to be a badly rusted bore for $40.00 at an Anchorage gunshow (1937) but the reverse bullet test showed promise. It cleaned up beautifully. I later bought another for $250.00 (1940), a very honest combat veteran that still shot fairly well for $300.00. I can't remember that date. The only one I still own is an undated (1934) in pristine shape that I traded a so so example of 98/29 Persian. My current 28/30 had a 39 dated new stock that had been cut to mount a pu mount, but fortunatly the owner never drilled and tapped it. He was a Czech national who had shot 54 MN sniper rifles in the czech army and already had converted another 28/30 sniper.
The Finns only made 25,000 of them and probably half of those survived the war. Our great leader, Tuco the founder of this site once posted a photo of a long rifle rack full of his personal stash of 28/30's and there had to be at least 20 of them and probably more.
gil

1 - 20 of 21 Posts