Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Winter is finally over. My Breda TIPO2 had some issues. Scope was , let's just say "bad", Sent it off for repair.The scope master said it looked like it fell off the truck a few times ( something along those lines but more elegant.I sent the scope on my Springfield M1D to him since it was never stellar. Same diagnosis. He did miracles, not scopes crystal clear and adjustments work. The Breda needed a new hammer. Abit odd as the rest of the rifle looked new. (as in rarely fired if at all).
In any event off to the range.
The Breda ran nicely, smooth and a real pleasure to shoot. I ran 2 clips of my reload (once fired range brass Federal collected after a gendarme practice, CCI34 primers, Nosler 155competition bullet, Vihtavuori N135 powder ) and got what I felt was great 16 shot group at 100meters.

My old Springfield M1D ran nicely also, using some very old LC ball ammo.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Any ideas why they would have stored sniper rifles with a broken scope? Or why a rifle that looks mechanically new (borescope of barrel looks pristine) would have a worn out hammer??
The Italians were selling everything. Its likely there was no process to ID or segregate rifle intended for refurb or in need of repair. Keep in mind, after the sale, some of the rifles remained in Europe so there was an opportunity to cull nicer pieces before they left the Austrian exporter. This was followed by the large number of rifles that were sent to Canada and offered in their market. I'm not sure if the Canadian and US shipments were sent simultaneously and the US lot simply took longer to be released. It not, the rifles that were released in 2021 might have already been picked through. In the end, all the rifles, fully functional or in some need of repair, were sold and ultimately there appears to have been no effort from the main importer to segregate examples with issues from those without.
In all fairness, the exterior appearances did not belie some of the problems eventually found (i.e. broken scopes, stripped out or cross-threaded blocks, broken or unsafe internals) with some of them.
All that said, I'm still happy with mine and am looking forward to some range time with them.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I had mine gone over by a top notch garand smith. He found no issues other tan the worn out hammer. He was surprised about the finding as everything else in the rifle was like new, minimal or no wear at all.My rifle was hand picked from the batch that came into Canada by a secondary dealer who picks from the importer's stock and then sells at a slight premium. He checks tire and metal condition. And as I said, the barrel looks new.
Anyway, really pleased with the rifle. Runs smooth as silk. I think I can cut that group in half if I bear down on my shooting and use better reloads. I went through those two clips quickly as I was more function testing and checking on sight setting. Loads were firedx1 range brass (Federal, left by police after their practice). I use that brass for fun shooting as I don't like Federal brass so 1 or 2 loads with this free brass is all I want, then off to scrap pile or the tall weeds!

Interesting to compare with my Springfield M1-D (30'06). I guess because of the weight of the rifle the 308 TIPO2 was much nicer to shoot. Accuracy hard to compare as I was using very old LC Ball 30'06.

Addendum: I was thinking when I snapped my pics you fellows must get paid for your pictures, they are great. Afraid I'm happy with good enough for my gun pictures.I usually take them after a long day at the range, loosing daylight, and wanting to get them unpacked, cleaned and back in the safe. Saving my photography skills for my hunting trip pics

·
Registered
562 Posts
I sent it to smith because
I had mine gone over by a top notch garand smith. He found no issues other tan the worn out hammer. He was surprised about the finding as everything else in the rifle was like new, minimal or no wear at all.My rifle was hand picked from the batch that came into Canada by a secondary dealer who picks from the importer's stock and then sells at a slight premium. He checks tire and metal condition. And as I said, the barrel looks new.
Anyway, really pleased with the rifle. Runs smooth as silk. I think I can cut that group in half if I bear down on my shooting and use better reloads. I went through those two clips quickly as I was more function testing and checking on sight setting. Loads were firedx1 range brass (Federal, left by police after their practice). I use that brass for fun shooting as I don't like Federal brass so 1 or 2 loads with this free brass is all I want, then off to scrap pile or the tall weeds!

Interesting to compare with my Springfield M1-D (30'06). I guess because of the weight of the rifle the 308 TIPO2 was much nicer to shoot. Accuracy hard to compare as I was using very old LC Ball 30'06.

Addendum: I was thinking when I snapped my pics you fellows must get paid for your pictures, they are great. Afraid I'm happy with good enough for my gun pictures.I usually take them after a long day at the range, loosing daylight, and wanting to get them unpacked, cleaned and back in the safe. Saving my photography skills for my hunting trip pics

Just curious- did the smith indicate wether the rifle would function with the hammer as is?
I sent it to smith because the rifle doubled on every 2nd or 3rd shot. So, no it was not serviceable.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I purchased one from Palmetto last year. Shoots well. Mine has USGI M84 and mount not Italian marked but was dead on when we shot the rifle. Been looking for and Italian data plates for the scope and a FAR flash hider.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts