Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Copper Bullet Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got in one of the Beretta .380's Century is selling. It is an 84F, dang near new and I am trying to decipher the proof marks. The two I have so far is a star above PSF which is Gardone and Brescia defenitive smokeless proff and a star over a shield with crossed rifles which is Gardones provisional proof. The others are a BD in a square and another star over something that looks like a flower, any gueses. A mall pb as well but I am thinking that is just a Beretta stamp Lovely pistol by the way for less than $400 delivered.

Sorry, here is a link to the proofs. The Italian ones are about 3/4 down the page. The two I have ID'd are the second and third proofs.

https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/PDF/Firearm/Proofmarks.pdf

·
Administrator
9,622 Posts
Dear P230,
The proofing establishment of Italy is at Gardone VT, Brescia province ( Banco Nazional di Prova per le Armi da Fuoco).

Beretta has an "annexe" serviced by the BNP, in a "secure area" within its Gun assembly area ( "Old factory") where all its production ( Pistols, Rifles and Shotguns) for Commercial sale are proved. This saves having to Pack them off a couple of Kilometres down the road the the BNP at the old SFARE facility just outside Gardone.

The Beretta "New factory" is dedicated to Military manufacture, and their proofing rules are slightly different: they also have their own Section of the BNP.

Most of the other Smaller plants in Gardone and district have their guns proved by the main BNP facility.

I was priveleged to view ( through Security Glass) the proving process (commercial) at the Beretta factory back in 2005, during an invitational visit. Sadly, we could not get access to the "New Factory" for security reasons.

The manufacture of Pistols, Shotguns and classic hunting rifles is done with all the old world skills, but aided by computer-controlled Milling machines, automatic Gauging inspection machines, and automatic Barrel broaching ( for Pistols) and Turning & Boring machines (for shotgun barrels). Stock finishing is still a Hands-on job ( I saw young West Africans doing their stock-making apprenticeships there, with the best Italian and Slovenian Walnut. And the work layout is simply superb...just like going to a major Machine-tool Exhibition..clean, airy, and Un-hassled. Wish I had enough room to make my workshop like that...wishful dreaming...

Regards,
AV Ballistics
Brtisbane,
Australia.

·
Copper Bullet Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DocAV,

That sounds sweet. Maybe someday I will make it over that way. I would at least like to see the factory if I can't go in it. Too bad they did not give you a handy dandy sheet of all the proof marks they have used. I am pretty sure that one of the two I have not ID is from the same place since the star looks exactly the same. The other may be too the way the four marks are arranged and space would make me think they were all stamped with the intent of being together. Thanks for sharing your experience there.

p230

·
Registered
196 Posts
p230,

I am sure by now you have probably figured out the [BD] proof mark. This is the Italian proof code which indicates the year 1994. These were once stamped as the actual year inside an oval then changed to Roman numerals (sometimes blended with a numeric digit) from the years 1954 (X) through 1974 (XXX) followed by an alphabetical code beginning with [AA] in the year 1975. And as usual pictures are always helpful.

Dan P.

·
Copper Bullet Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dan,

Actually I had not figured that out yet. Thanks, how does the code system work? I really do need to take some pictures I just don't have any time off until next Sat. Plus I don't know if I can get the marks to stand out enough to photograph well. I am not near as good a photographer as some on here.

Thanks Again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts