Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been googling the heck out of this but cant seem to find what im looking for. I am looking for one of the better made 1892 Winchester copies. I think the company starts with an "E" but I cant seem to find it. Anyone have any idea of some Italian companies that make copies of the 1892?

Any help would be appreciated.

Joey

·
Gold Bulllet Member
4,840 Posts
I have been googling the heck out of this but cant seem to find what im looking for. I am looking for one of the better made 1892 Winchester copies. I think the company starts with an "E" but I cant seem to find it. Anyone have any idea of some Italian companies that make copies of the 1892?

Any help would be appreciated.

Joey
Chiappa Firearms Italy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Me, too, in .44 Magnum, or .44-40. Rossi makes 'em in .45LC and .357 Magnum, but for some reason those two calibers in that design annoy me. Let us all know what you find!

·
Banned
5,142 Posts
i bought several win 66,s win 73,s and win 92 copies and was turned off by the price( 650-1000)and quality. one shot three feet to the left at 50 yds,an other jammed so bad it was a single shot, i got them to work so i could sell them. i have gone to buying original winchesters,if you watch for them you can pick them up used for the same price as the repo,s. my 92 win in 38-40 i paid 400 for it in very good con, not perfect but with my reloads it will shoot 1-2 inchs at 50 yds. and a real nice win model 64 in 30-30 for 600 with a lyman tang sight that will cut bullet holes at 50 yds. and the best is a 92 winchester saddlering carbine with a 3/4 magazing in 32-20 in 85-90 % con with a ex bore for 1000, i have been offered 1500 for it . but will not sell it and it will cut bullet holes at 50 yds. keep your eyes open and your wallet ready. eastbank.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Agreement about the replicas. I researched for quite a while about '92s from Brazil and the '73s from Italy and am happy I bought an original '73 that was make by "Winchester". It had been reblued some decades ago, shot with corrosive primed ammunition, and allowed to sit with the barrel rusting out . . . . so I'll be having it rebarreled next year, . . . but it is "nice" and I have a origianl '73 WINCHESTER . . . . not a gun made in Italy or Brazil. And am HAPPY.

·
Banned
5,142 Posts
most times when you by a repo win. and want to shoot sass or cass,they have to be worked on to compete,i did buy a marlin to shoot but it even had to be worked on and i paid over 400.00 for it. i still think the original win. 1892 is the best!! even if you get one with a bad barrel, and you have it in 38-40 you can have it rebored and rerifled to 44-40 for under 200.00 by redmans in washington state. eastbank.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The main reason I am wanting to know is because I am wanting to do a working replica of the Rifleman's rifle. I found a guy who does them online but its rather expensive for the complete rifle. He sells just the worked over levers for a much lower price but I was looking to try to find the same rifle's he uses for his complete builds.

·
Banned
5,142 Posts
i read some where years ago that you could buy a attactment for your lever that had a tip of metal that bolted on and with the tip raised it tripped the trigger as the lever was closed. you had to adjust it to work right and it was to work on regular levers fine. eastbank.(i think chuck conners,the rifle man used a modified spanish el tiger 44-40 with 5 in one blanks)

·
Registered
32 Posts
EMF

You may be thinking of EMF Hartford. They are an Italian company that sells an extensive line of 1892s. I think they are made by Pieata. Browning made an 1982 in the late 70s- 80s. They are high quality and shoot well. The barrels are micro groove rifled so you need to load oversized bullets if using cast. I have to use .431 in my 44 mag. They were also made in 357.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I picked up a win 1892 in 44-40 2 years ago for $800, it was made in 1916. Maybe I was lucky, but I would have a hard time paying that for a replica (unless you just had to have one in cosmetically perfect shape). Also picked up a 1894 made in 1929 for $450, receiver is a little spotty, but the wood is original finish and perfect shape. the 1892 is a SRC and the 1894 is an eastern carbine. The deals are out there and perhaps more common now with folks needing money. I would try to hold out for the real thing, they will probably hold their value much better. I would think you would also have less issues with feeding and reliability. Just my .02

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You may be thinking of EMF Hartford. They are an Italian company that sells an extensive line of 1892s. I think they are made by Pieata. Browning made an 1982 in the late 70s- 80s. They are high quality and shoot well. The barrels are micro groove rifled so you need to load oversized bullets if using cast. I have to use .431 in my 44 mag. They were also made in 357.
I dont think it was the EMF that the man who makes them uses. They def dont have the safteys on the top.

I have a couple shops near me and we are possibly working out a trade for an original 92.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Rossi M92

I bought a 44 magnum Rossi M92 copy about 10 years ago (paid under $200.00) and I like it just fine. It is south american made, (Brazil) which I'm normally not crazy about, but the quality seems to be good. The down side was the stock which, when new, was almost black. I stripped the original finish and gave it a couple coats of tung oil and now it looks decent. If the one currently being made are as good as mine I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

It will shoot inside 2" at 75 yards consistantly, which is pretty good considering my 68 year old eyes. I load a 240 gr. Remington JHP with 25 grains of W296 which I'm guessing should produce at least 1700 FPS out of the 20" barrel. I find I have to taper crimp the rounds for smooth feeding also because recoil will drive the bullets into the cases in the magazine tube. I know it kicks somewhat harder than a Model 94 30-30 so it definitely has some punch.

I live in the country so I keep it loaded next to my bed, figuring it will handle a PA black bear or an aggresive miscreant human quite nicely if necessary. So far, I havn't had to shoot either one but I figure it pays to be ready.

John I. Smith
Bedford PA

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a .44-40. 4 groove hex barrel on mine. (EMF) Sweet Rifle! Upper in Pic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.